[ img ]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: Level 5 downlock request for Mowbray, Cape Town

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Lol,

We all go there, whether you split it yourself or just 'inherit' it in an area. You start off with setting all the turn restrictions to 'make it work'. Then a month down the line you reduce all the crossings to below 15m, cause you saw that it's gotta work. Then you see some more URs and see somewhere else that INTL server recommends < 10m on intersections, and you jointly apply that.
Then 2 or 3 weeks after that, you get to the 'Ahh, bugger this!' stage, and you decide it's easier to unsplit them, just like they originally were ;)
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[ img ]
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:10 pm

RodNav wrote:With number of reports lately, I wish I could highlight my own reports, because those are reports I can usually solve since was actually there :P

I also forget where I logged the URs, but at least get the reminder when they are 'fixed' . I just chalk it down to old age... ;-)

LeighGr wrote:... I'll mark it as solved.
Lately if I come across this type of UR, I leave it, hoping that the new editor will allow me to ask the reporter for a few more details.

If I change anything to correct it, I'll mark it as solved. If it's a nondescript error and I really can't figure out why, I leave a comment on the Beta to contact me or give more info, or close it as not identified, which should at least indicate to the user that more info might be required and that behaviour in Waze will not change.
I leave comments for routing with u-turns as well, but only to inform the user that Waze thinks it's quicker doing it that way. If it's something i can fix, I'll change it. I'm not sure that the push messages was working 100% before some recent back end changes though.

From the looks of it, they are pushing to get comms released to prod, and have recently made changes to the back end as well for better delivery of the messages.
Just not sure how long this will take.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
[ img ]
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:58 pm

LeighGr wrote:Reading the wiki again, it does state that the user is sent a notification when the UR is marked as not identified. Trying to test it, but I have no idea how long the UR takes to come through on the editor.

The automatically generated map problems are the ones you need to think twice on marking as not identified. This might just prompt IGN editors to start scratching in the area.
User reports is slightly different. If it says fixed, the user expects different results next time. If it says not identified as it may need more info, it might just prompt more detail from the user than missing bridge or overpass with no description. You could also get a PM from the user telling you how stupid you are, but at least that starts off a conversation :-)

I think they might have started filtering out your own in-app UR notifications as part of the pending communication facility.

I think URs are processed with your drive info, but could be mistaken, but you can always check if you log a UR on Livemap. Click anywhere and the popup will have the option to report a problem.

It should be available in the editor right away. If you close it as not identified, you should get an email to the address supplied similar to this :

Support wrote:Hi Kuhlkatz,

The map problem you reported on Waze on 13-Aug-2013, (Test UR for Not Identified notification.) has been reviewed by Kuhlkatz but wasn't resolved, most likely due to insufficient information or non-exact location.
...... Editing details follows....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
[ img ]
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Level 5 downlock request for Mowbray, Cape Town

Postby LeighGr » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Evening guys

Please downlock this offramp so that I can unsplit this top section of Klipfontein Rd west of Milner Rd and create a bowtie junction with Milner Rd.

There's yet another UR because Waze gave instructions to make a U turn at this intersection, because the driver missed the N2 offramp, or prefers, as I do, to take Milner Rd through to Claremont rather than the N2 / M3 route.
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby LeighGr » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:21 pm

That should do it for now. I've added both Milner and Klipfontein Rds to the my list of split roads that need to be unsplit at some later date. I caught one yesterday in Blouberg (Raats Dr) that had only been created the week before, so quickly undid it. I can't give the editor stick, as I did exactly the same thing last year with Okavango Rd when it's second carridge way was opened. Only to undo the whole thing last month!

What happened to the red light camera on that ramp? Sometimes I see the cameras, but more often than not I don't see cameras.
Leigh Greyling
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby LeighGr » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm

RodNav wrote:I don't mean to imply that you're guilty of doing that! :oops: There are other editors who seem to just close whatever they see.

Hmm.. Well.. Ok.. I'll own up! I have been guilty of doing so. When I come across a UR with absolutely no details, and after looking around, I can't see anything that stands out as being wrong, I'll mark it as solved. Lately if I come across this type of UR, I leave it, hoping that the new editor will allow me to ask the reporter for a few more details.

There is this Wrong Directions UR which simply states M5 Koeberg. I can't see any reason why waze should not route via the M5. I've followed the M5 all the way down to Kromboom Rd, and can't see any reason to cause Waze to instruct the driver to turn left or right before even getting to the Koeberg interchange. Without knowing the rough area of the persons destination, it's like looking for a needle in a field of haystacks!

RodNav wrote:With number of reports lately, I wish I could highlight my own reports, because those are reports I can usually solve since was actually there :P

What I've previously done is start a report comment with "For LeighGr" when it's one I want to look at when I get home. Doesn't always work, as I found a few that get closed by the time I get to look at them.
Leigh Greyling
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby LeighGr » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Kuhlkatz wrote:or close it as not identified, which should at least indicate to the user that more info might be required and that behaviour in Waze will not change.

Hmm. Is this a change to the 'not identified' behaviour, as I've understood the UR then gets flagged for attention of Waze Support, who in most cases have no local knowledge of the area and therefore should be avoided?

Reading the wiki again, it does state that the user is sent a notification when the UR is marked as not identified. Trying to test it, but I have no idea how long the UR takes to come through on the editor.
Leigh Greyling
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby LeighGr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:40 am

Thanks for clearing that up. I missed that UR and MP distinction when choosing 'not identified'.
Kuhlkatz wrote:You could also get a PM from the user telling you how stupid you are, but at least that starts off a conversation :-)

More than happy to take the flack, but as you say, at least it starts the possibility of a conversation, as they may decide I have absolutely no clue and ignore me.
Kuhlkatz wrote:It should be available in the editor right away

I would have thought so too, but logging out and back it, refreshing, repeating for 30 mins and it still wasn't there. It was there this morning.
Kuhlkatz wrote:I think they might have started filtering out your own in-app UR notifications as part of the pending communication facility.

Yup. No notification. Being told that LeighGr had fixed a UR reported by LeighGr always made me think that this should be filtered out.

Not sure what's involved, but how about having UR's locked so that lower ranked editors can't just close them? Hang on. Crap idea. Doesn't help if a level 4 editor traveling in a foreign area logs a UR, but the highest local editor, or AM, in that area is level 3. Could always have a unlock/downlock process in place where this does happen.
Leigh Greyling
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby RodNav » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 am

:D to Carel's comment!

Thanks Leigh, for fixing my report. I'm glad that it was actually fixed, and not just closed, like I sometimes find.
Edit: I don't mean to imply that you're guilty of doing that! :oops: There are other editors who seem to just close whatever they see.
With number of reports lately, I wish I could highlight my own reports, because those are reports I can usually solve since was actually there :P
Country Manager for South Africa.
LG G2 (aka LG-D802), Android 4.4.2
[ img ]
RodNav
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to SA Unlock / Road Closure Requests