Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Your help with fuel types in Sweden

Post by orit_y
Hi All,

My name is Orit, Project Manager-Localiztion at Waze.
I received a request to replace the fuel type 98 octane with CNG, saying it's more popular among Swedish drivers. Do you agree? Should we replace it? I would appreciate your feedback in this matter.

Thanks for your help,
Orit
orit_y

POSTER_ID:9752814

Send a message

Post by amiga6
I agree with SWM, many gas stations still have 98-octane. But more and more also have CNG, so it should be added too.
amiga6
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
I'm using Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Android 13 Swedish and the latest (beta) Waze version.

Post by avozetta
Hi!
I am a CNG driver my self and as it is today with few (138) CNG stations the most important thing is to find it, not to find the cheapest. That is already solved today because we have added a second gas station landmark named CNG for those gas stations that have CNG. Maybe not the proper way to do it but it works.

If you should replace any type of fuel I agree that 98 should be the one but what is the effort by adding a fifth fuel type?
avozetta
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
/Anders
Sweden Wiki Master, Sweden Waze Champ, Sweden Country Manager, AM in Sweden/Stockholm area, Waze Beta Tester
Sony Xperia 5 IV Android 13

Post by Dennis_Halmstad
CNG should be a part of the gas system.

However removing 98 isn't a good solution.
If we look into the future 95 will be replaced by 95 E10. But locking at other countries where this have been done sales of 98 (98 E5) has increased (eg from 7% to 27% in Finland). So if its removed now it probarbly needs to be re added later.
The change from 95 and 98 is scheduled to 2014 in Sweden.

If its down to choose four, what should we aim at? most usability or most users?
If its usability CNG should be in the list, and if its users then 98.

Is there any plans on adding more than 4 types of fuel?
As i see it there should be five types 95, 98, E85, Diesel and CNG.
I also want to see Electrical loading places.

(source http://www.mhrf.se/e10 )
Dennis_Halmstad
Send a message

Post by ehagglun
SwedishBadger wrote:I wote for CNG. How many % of Waze target group runs highly tuned cars? Better to aim at what company cars mostly use today. Also good credit to waze for trying to help with something less pollutive.
I agree, I drive a Corvette (summertime) and believe me: The prize of 98-octance is not important, and I would happily loose it to the benefit for CNG. Besides, 99 times out of 100, the 98 octane price is not updated, probably because it's not being advertised on the poles outside the gaststation like 95, diesel and E85 is.... you have to literally park next to the pump to see the price...

Just my 2 cents...
ehagglun
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Area Manager : SE-Gothenburg and northern outskirts thereof.
Samsung Galaxy S8 | Telia | Android 8.0.0
https://world.waze.com/images/nav/logo.gif
Facebook/Erik.Hagglund

Post by figger
I think there will be more than four alternatives in the future. Why not make it possible to have 8 different types of fuel in Waze.

Also, why not increase the points you earn when updating the prices. Way to few update to make the function reliable.
figger
Send a message

Post by NateRobinson
I think tracking a price for CNG will be complicated. The standard for CNG states that it should be 97% methane, but doesn't specify what the other 3% are (aside from max. quantities of water and other materials that cause corrosion, etc.). On the west coast of Sweden (e.g. Göteborg), the natural gas network often has small amounts of longer hydrocarbons. On the east coast, where biogas is much more prevalent, that 3% is usually CO2. The result: natural gas usually has a "gasoline equivalent" of 1.25 gal per m3, while biogas is closer to 1.1.

The (fordons)gas companies in Sweden have tried posting the "gasoline equivalent" price, but this was not accepted by the consumer protection agency.

Bottom line: as much as I'd like to see waze track CNG prices, I think it would be very difficult to implement well.
NateRobinson
Send a message

Post by orit_y
Hi
Just wanted to clarify, in order to add CNG we will have to delete one of the existing fuel types (most likely 98 octane) since we can support a total of 4 fuel types.

Orit
orit_y
Send a message

Post by SverkerN
I also think replacing 98 octane with CNG adds more value to the Waze users. 98 octane is sold at most gas stations. CNG can only be found at approx 5 % of the gas stations.

/Sverker
SverkerN
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by SwedishBadger
I wote for CNG. How many % of Waze target group runs highly tuned cars? Better to aim at what company cars mostly use today. Also good credit to waze for trying to help with something less pollutive.

Skickat från min Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 2
SwedishBadger
Send a message