Burlington Skyway restrictions

Post by invented
Might be wise to add a travel restriction on the Toronto-bound segments of the Burlington Skyway for at least the next few days to see how bad the damage is. They've closed it off Toronto-bound at Burlington St so you'd want to go back to that location. Make sure whatever changes you make affect traffic trying to go Toronto-bound from Burlington St as you wouldn't be able to do that either.
invented

POSTER_ID:6159883

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
invented wrote:I just tried to route over that way and it's telling me to go on the (closed) skyway segment, obviously now because no traffic is being reported on it compared to the crammed Eastport Dr. Closures reported in the app are not permanent functions; they expire. One can start a route from points east of this closure, and when it's not currently set, it will give them a wildly inaccurate ETA. I say put on restrictions or disconnect the segment until we have a firm date of re-opening.
Unless it's VERY serious and VERY long term, please don't disconnect. That's the old way of doing things.

Certainly put a restriction on, however.

We'll be updating this process to be similar to the US's (basically a back-end access to close roads that looks similar on the client to when they're closed by client reports -- they'll have the construction barricade icon, etc.) in the next few weeks -- we can specify durations . Stay tuned! :)
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
And that is very close to what we are talking about.

It isn't direct (still needs to be processed by Waze staff) but at least it's guaranteed to work inside of a business day.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by hmarian
I second manoeuvre.
Since it is not a scheduled closure and we can't be sure when MTO will open the Skyway, we can't post this on the WME.
If enough people report the closure from the App it will affect the routing and practically close the segment. Once people start driving through the reported closed segment it will open it up for all other users.
Waze is working on a more rapid push for closures from the WME, but the time to implement this is unknown.

I just run a test on my mobile and it seems that the closure is not in place, so likely not enough people reported it.

What I can assure you is that once Wazers are detoured off the QEW, Waze will help them to complete the detour via Hamilton.

Cheers,
HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by hmarian
As you can see in my screen capture the Waze miracle is working!
Vehicles are diverted by Waze!

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by hmarian
MTO and OPP don't know when the bridge is going to be opened.
At this point Monday is the best guess, but this may get pushed again, who knows?

I looked at the segments on the Toronto Bound QEW several times today and the backed up traffic was showing very well on Livemap and affected routing in the area, which tells me that either Wazers reported closures from the App or once a few of them got sucked in traffic it sent the information to Waze and the routing server started suggest alternate routes around the bridge.

I suggest that we don't impose any closures on the WME, unless we can be certain 100% that this restriction could be pulled when the Bridge is opened, either based on detecting traffic going on the restricted segments or by one of us informing Waze.
If we can't achieve that the worse case scenario would be that some motorists will get a route suggestion thorough the bridge and once the OPP tell them to get off the QEW Waze will find them the best possible detour. I don't think it is such a big pain, given the circumstances.

I'm happy to hear what you all think about my suggestion.

Cheers,
HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by hmarian on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by hmarian
It's not opening Monday. Have you seen the overhead pictures?
I also questioned that estimate, but we can only based our decisions on official information we get from the news.
The exit to Eastport Dr is right adjacent to the affected span. That's where the traffic is heading. Waze would be telling users to go across the closed span because of all the traffic that is now on Eastport Dr, when the app closures expire.
Once the user will be detoured off the highway, Waze will take care of putting him back on his best route to where he is going.

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by hmarian
Today is Monday, no?

HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by invented
I just tried to route over that way and it's telling me to go on the (closed) skyway segment, obviously now because no traffic is being reported on it compared to the crammed Eastport Dr. Closures reported in the app are not permanent functions; they expire. And the road closure feature is not commonly used, one because it's hidden one swipe over on the report menu, two because it's completely useless on long-term projects, and three because it's very difficult to use when moving. One can start a route from points east of this closure, and when it's not currently set, it will give them a wildly inaccurate ETA. I say put on restrictions or disconnect the segment until we have a firm date of re-opening.
invented
Send a message

Post by invented
doctorkb wrote:
invented wrote:I just tried to route over that way and it's telling me to go on the (closed) skyway segment, obviously now because no traffic is being reported on it compared to the crammed Eastport Dr. Closures reported in the app are not permanent functions; they expire. One can start a route from points east of this closure, and when it's not currently set, it will give them a wildly inaccurate ETA. I say put on restrictions or disconnect the segment until we have a firm date of re-opening.
Unless it's VERY serious and VERY long term, please don't disconnect. That's the old way of doing things.

Certainly put a restriction on, however.

We'll be updating this process to be similar to the US's (basically a back-end access to close roads that looks similar on the client to when they're closed by client reports -- they'll have the construction barricade icon, etc.) in the next few weeks -- we can specify durations . Stay tuned! :)
The twin structures carry about a 150,000+ AADT and one of them is shut down. It is quite serious, but the duration of the closure is so far unknown (at least the weekend, maybe for a few weeks to come).
invented
Send a message