Switch to full style
Post a reply

shortest vs fastest

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post. Hope I am doing this right.

Not sure if I am missing something here but this is what I observed on few occasions using waze.

If I select the option "fastest" under route type, I get a list of 3 routes according to this priority, i.e. minimize the amount of time to reach destination.

For some reasons, when I select "shortest" I then see different route options but one of them actually is also faster (less time to reach destination) than any of the route options I was proposed when "fastest" was selected. Bottom line is that I need to toggle between "fastest" and "shortest" as only leaving it to "shortest" will not necessarily give the the shortest route. I am wondering if this is a software sub-optimization or something I do not understand in the app.

Any ideas?

txs./Michel

Re: shortest vs fastest

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:40 pm

To add on what qaz said, I also remember from the last canadian meetup that between two routes, the routing engine will actually prefer a slightly longer route if it feels more confident in its associated ETA. Not sure if this is still the case, but I would assume so.

Re: shortest vs fastest

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:27 pm

Caveat: I don't use "shortest" and have no direct knowledge of the routing algorithm.

The "fastest" algorithm does things to "smoothen" the trip that make it take longer than (what Waze thinks is) the absolute fastest trip. The farther you are from your start or endpoint, the less likely Waze will be to use "lesser/smaller" roads. eg. On a 100km trip you probably want to use the highway. Also, once the "fastest" route is found, it is further adjusted to remove small detours that Waze has decided that drivers may not want to take. The result of this is making the route a little longer. The "shortest" algorithms probably does none of this.
Post a reply