Post by Scorp42
I haven't looked at the link as I'm on my kindle. But generally speaking, we remove parking lot roads for a couple of reasons.

They clutter the map (especially on a small screen such as your typical smartphone)

Waze can inadvertantly route legitimate traffic over those segments, and a few other reasons.

As a general rule of thumb, parking lots, railroads, walking trails and similar are better left out of the maps. (At least, at this point in time)

If you really need that parking lot mapped for some reason, look around the general area and see if you can find any recently edited segments. If so, PM that User and explain why you think it's needed. See if they agree.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42
Send a message
iPhone 4 (AT&T GSM)
iOS 6.0.1 - nonjailbroken
Waze - 3.5.1.998

Post by therubinator
palmerit wrote:Waze can inadvertantly route legitimate traffic over those segments, and a few other reasons.

As a general rule of thumb, parking lots, railroads, walking trails and similar are better left out of the maps. (At least, at this point in time)
Hi palmerit - my impression was that Waze is smarter than that (screen clutter, notwithstanding, of course). From the Best Practice wiki page, "Use of the Parking Lot Road Type":
The Parking Lot Road type exists to allow the mapping of parking lots, while discouraging the routing server from using them for navigation vs. the road network. Waze has changed the way that Parking Lot roads route as of June 2012. Parking Lot roads now have a transition penalty when transitioning from the Parking Lot road to another road type. This penalty decreases the chance that Waze will route through a Parking Lot as a shortcut but allow better navigation in and out of the Parking Lot. Every segment that is used to map a Parking Lot should be of the Parking Lot segment type. It is no longer advisable to mix road types within the Parking Lot.
I've been actively putting parking lot road types in where I see System Detected Problems arising from users driving off-course because of a parking lot. It happens quite a bit and ignoring it didn't seem to be appropriate (especially given that wiki entry).

I agree with leaving off walking trails and railroads. It doesn't seem sensible to put them in as...well, you don't generally drive on those.
therubinator
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Waze Area Manager
City of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post by Webs101
Wasn't me. I find parking lot roads useful, but then, I go to Carrefour Angrignon every so often.
Webs101
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 7
Send a message
https://shitcafe.com/waze/waze-sig.png
Global champ from Canada