This area is going to be the death of me (Ilsley St, Dtmth)

Post by Jay91150
https://www.waze.com/livemap?lon=-63.59 ... 42&zoom=16

The above is the livemap for an area mentioned in these forums before, but this is not about the same old problem.

There's an open UR in the area on the editor map. If you open the UR, you will see that the reporter was going NB on Ilsley and wanted to turn left (WBish) on Wright. Waze's preferred route takes them up Raddall instead.

I generated a route on the livemap at ~12:45pm Atlantic time today, from just north of Commodore on Ilsley, to just west of Ilsley on Wright, to see what choices I got. They were:

Option 1: north on Ilsley to Raddall, right on Raddall, follow it around and go left on Wright, through the intersection with Ilsley & Wright, to destination. Distance 0.96 miles, time 2 minutes.

Option 2: south on Ilsley to Commodore, east to Burnside, north to Wright, west thru Raddall and Wright to destination. Distance 1.26 miles, time 3 minutes.

Option 3: north on Ilsley straight to Wright, turn left, arrive at destination. Distance 0.72 miles, time 9 minutes.

That time on option 3 has no basis in reality. I have no idea why there is such a huge penalty on that road. I tried to generate a route again on the live map and now it won't even take Ilsley into consideration.

I'm tempted to delete the entire road (so its traffic data will be purged - am I correct in thinking that's how it works?) and redrawing it.
Jay91150

POSTER_ID:16872708

Send a message

Post by hmarian
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Deleting isn't the way to handle this at this stage.

As you can see in the attached image below, using the route speeds script this segment on Ilsley Ave shows an average speed of 8km/h, extremely slow compare to other segments around it.

This could be a result of an actual slow speed that was recorded or someone using Waze on bike or running.

The best way to try and fix this is to ask the user to keep using the bad slow segment as many times possible, during different days of the week and different times of the day. This will help build new speed data for the segment.
If there are other users in the area that would do the same, it will be helpful in speeding up the process.

If this will not be helpful we could look at escalating this to the Waze Development Team to reset the data on the segment, but I would suggest to not delete the segment and rebuild it at this stage.

HM.

hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by Jay91150
Thanks bunches. I need to have a look at that script, too!
Jay91150
Send a message