Halifax, NS. Major vs Minor Highways

Moderators: hmarian, doctorkb, Kayos_On_The_Road, manoeuvre, Canada Champs

Halifax, NS. Major vs Minor Highways

Postby MrHovi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:40 pm

I don't think this is the forum to post this but the Nova Scotia forum seems to have no activity on it and I would like for this to be seen and at the same time this requires at least a level 5 to make the majority of the changes that I note.

I have noticed that several roads in Halifax and the surrounding area may be categorized wrongly. Most of the roads that are categorized as Major Highways should be categorized as Minor Highways or Primary Streets and Some sections of Freeway can arguably be categorized as a Major Highway.

As per the following Wiki, I believe that the majority of the highways can be taken down a level. For instance North St should be a minor highway or even a primary street and Barrington St should be a minor highway based on number of lanes and amount of intersections and lights (according to the wiki again).

On the other side I have found some streets that can be categorized higher. For instance Joseph Howe Dr is a Primary Street but I think it should be a Minor Highway.

These are only a few examples and I am looking for a correct coarse of action to take on this issue.
"Let me do the editing so I can learn, don't do it for me."
Local Editor: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
[ img ] [ img ] 2K Edits
MrHovi

Re: Halifax, NS. Major vs Minor Highways

Postby doctorkb » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm

The appropriate place for this is the Nova Scotia forum. I'll move it there.

Despite it looking a little quiet, it is monitored.

As for your question -- your interpretation of that wiki article is actually the opposite of intended. "Major Arterial" means that even non-highway streets could be upgraded to Major Highway, etc.

In addition, the continuation of any highway needs to stay at the same level it comes into the city on (i.e. the numbered route remains major/minor regardless of traffic restrictions like street lights, etc.)
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MrHovi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 am

Dose this include above mentioned North St? It is a single lane road and is not numbered and classified as a major. But on the other hand just at the end of North St the bridge is marked as Minor and it sees almost 3 times the volume a day than North St.

If there is a Waze editor from Halifax that was level 5 or higher they would agree with me and have this fixed by now, but as far as I can tell I am the only one actively editing in Halifax from Halifax.
"Let me do the editing so I can learn, don't do it for me."
Local Editor: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
[ img ] [ img ] 2K Edits
MrHovi

Postby doctorkb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:09 am

For better perspective, look at Edmonton and the number of major/minor highways.

They're not all numbered routes, but form the classification from the municipal government.

I didn't look at your example, because I'm not familiar with the area. I haven't had time to really dig into this yet.

Here's what I found in a quick Google search for Halifax Road Classification:
https://www.halifax.ca/regionalplanning ... cation.pdf

Note: all black lines should be Major or Minor Highway or Freeway. Green and Red are Primary Streets.
Waze Global Champ
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ColinsGoat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:15 am

Just to bring this thread back to life, I think MrHovi is correct about these roadways. Another example is Windmill Road near the Macdonald bridge. There is no way that this is a "major highway" as described. It should probably have the same designation as the nearby Wyse road: primary street, and MAYBE minor highway when it becomes Alderney Drive. Likewise, I would think of Barrington Street not being a major highway, but probably a minor one. At least by how I interpret the following link:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Canada#Within_Metropolitan_Areas
[ img ]
Area Manager: Atlantic provinces
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby doctorkb » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:00 am

You are correct, if you look at the link I posted with the road classification, Windmill is a primary street.

@restless_in_nb has been active in this area. Please feel free to work with him to get some of this updated.
Waze Global Champ
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby restless_in_nb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks for pointing me to this thread ColinsGoat...I have been tied up with personal stuff and not as active as I would like to be.

I have looked at this and agree there are issues to address...I know Halifax quite well and should have picked up on this when I was editing in the area.

I have created some unlock requests for the level 5 locks which are on many of the segments you've identified. Once these are lowered, I will make the edits. The ones where I am able to edit I've made some changes. Please let me know as you find more oddities in the map.

Cheers
[ img ][ img ]

Waze Editing Manual
Editing Best Practices

Local Champ - Canada
Province Manager - Atlantic Canada (NB, NS, PE, NL)
Beta Tester - Samsung Galaxy Note 9
restless_in_nb
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby ColinsGoat » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Thanks Restless. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
[ img ]
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ColinsGoat » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:29 pm

Oh and one more thing: Hwy 102 has some labelling issues:

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... bb5a2839f5
[ img ]
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby restless_in_nb » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks, I just saw that today. I have asked for the lock to be lowered. Once lowered I will change it to N/S.
[ img ][ img ]

Waze Editing Manual
Editing Best Practices

Local Champ - Canada
Province Manager - Atlantic Canada (NB, NS, PE, NL)
Beta Tester - Samsung Galaxy Note 9
restless_in_nb
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to Nova Scotia