New issues at the Halifax airport

Post by ColinsGoat
There are two URs of a problem at the Halifax airport. Traffic on the main road to the airport, Bell Blvd, is being erroneously routed to Barns Dr. The problem does not seem to replicate with the live map or the WME, but I have confirmed it with the app:
Screenshot_2016-02-06-14-19-04-s.png
(78.27 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
The route should follow Bell Blvd all the way to the terminal. Clearly this is a serious problem in a high volume area.

I'm wondering if the problem could be any of the following (or even a confluence of issues):
  • The app reports the airport as being at 1 Bell Blvd. However, the endpoint falls short of the actual terminal, as indicated by the screen grab above.
    • Should we force a house number of "1" to be at the entrance to the terminal on Bell Blvd?
  • Bell Blvd has been bisected by this series of segments that are now ramps. Could this be confusing the routing algorithm?
  • Could the strange angle between these segments be an influence?
  • On a possibly related note, why are so many segments in the area now classified as "ramps"? That doesn't seem consistent with the standard, or is it supposed to fall under one of the exceptions?
-Colin
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17093981

Send a message
[img]https:///c7J4Vm[/img]
Area Manager: Atlantic provinces
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake

Post by ColinsGoat
Which marker do you mean? I didn't notice anything different.

Just to add another variable ( :) ), I noticed Barnes Dr was incorrectly categorized as one way (heading NE), so I have changed it to two way. I don't think that will affect the current problem.
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake

Post by ColinsGoat
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't notice anything different in the WME in terms of the roads.

Did you mean you moved the stop point marker for the airport area? If so, that's an interesting place where you have it now, just before the turnoff from Bell Blvd to the to Hwy 102 / Halifax / Truro / Goudey Dr ramp. I guess that should fix that routing problem!

I was doing the routing testing in the app. I'll monitor the situation and let you know.

Thanks!
C
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ColinsGoat
The Waze status thingy says the NA map tiles were updated on Feb 10 and 11. The routing problem persists in the app. What if we try one of the following: (i) Tagging the location on Bell Blvd where the place marker is currently situated with street address "1", or (ii) removing the street address "1 Bell Blvd, Goffs, Nova Scotia" from the airport's place descriptor. Essentially, I'm wondering if the house number is somehow influencing the routing algorithm.
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ColinsGoat
Well squirt ketchup on my shirt and call me a hot dog! The routing is working now!
Screenshot_2016-02-14-10-40-29-a.png
(141 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
(It wasn't yesterday afternoon though! I have a screenshot of the route going through Barnes still. I thought I had forced a map update on my device, but maybe it didn't work?)

Anyway! Problem solved! Yay! Thanks for the help!

C
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by hmarian
Looking at the area I don't see any problem with the map.
The ramps segment type will not add a penalty, neither the angles you pointed out.
I think it may be because of the selection of the segment immediate to the exit from Barnes Dr that may caused it.
I will try to move the marker to an earlier stop, where it seem to be working as expected and not giving that funny route.
I will change it and let's test on the next tile build.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by hmarian
Where do you test it? If you test on LiveMap, it may take several days to update. Updates to LiveMap are slower than tiles in the App.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by hmarian
Yes. I thought it is better to put the marker there, as putting it further towards the terminal may not be ideal for people due to the split of departure and arrival, where most people navigating to the airport are heading.
Test in a few days and let me know if further edits are required.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by hmarian
ColinsGoat wrote:The Waze status thingy says the NA map tiles were updated on Feb 10 and 11. The routing problem persists in the app. What if we try one of the following: (i) Tagging the location on Bell Blvd where the place marker is currently situated with street address "1", or (ii) removing the street address "1 Bell Blvd, Goffs, Nova Scotia" from the airport's place descriptor. Essentially, I'm wondering if the house number is somehow influencing the routing algorithm.
I believe that you looking at LiveMap and see the wrong location for the search for "Robert Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)". The reason for that is that LiveMap updates are not on the same schedule of the map tiles in the client.
When I searched for "Robert Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)" from the client the marker is right where it should be (see image).
I think it will work fine for people navigating to the airport.
I'm over 1000 miles away, can you test on your client and see if I'm correct or not and confirm?

hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester

Post by hmarian
NP. You can close the UR there if you haven't already.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Android/WME Beta Tester