Mailboxes/mid-road Turn areas

Moderators: hmarian, doctorkb, Kayos_On_The_Road, manoeuvre, Canada Champs

Mailboxes/mid-road Turn areas

Postby Jarve1024 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:02 am

Glad the mappable community mailboxes are rare

Many mailboxes facilitate turning around, but I just learned that U-Turns need a sign
[ img ]

Here's an extreme example, many just have wide shoulders (some have areas that could be mapped as a small PLR)

Current state
[ img ]

Crazy option
[ img ]

Or Circular PLR, or keep the straight road, add a junction permitting U-Turns in both directions.

I assume in most cases the best option is to leave the straight segment alone (if you're stopping at the mail you're close to home & know the fastest way without Waze). Where as a PLR, or U-Turn node would just be noisy.
[ img ]

Honestly, I'll be done editing when Waze knows the fastest way between all my destinations
Jarve1024
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Mailboxes/mid-road Turn areas

Postby Nagamasa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:41 am

I believe in your specific example of Freer Lane. It is actually a public road to the bulb, and the continuation is the entrance to a parking lot. Would I enable a u-turn here? Debatable. This is a special case of "driveway at the end of a cul-de-sac"

Wide shoulders is definitely not something I would enable u-turns for. U-turns are regularly used for routing (It's just that in most of the case, it's not faster), and I don't think anyone appreciates being routed onto the gravel shoulder.
[ img ]
AM3: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM3: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager

Re: Mailboxes/mid-road Turn areas

Postby Jarve1024 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:34 am

I didn't adjust the routing on Freer Lane. I think you're correct PLR would be technically accurate , but I consider changing it higher risk due to the Hospital at the end.

I don't know the Waze routing internals so I don't want to make changes that'd affect the hospital, changing to PLR that could delay someone's arrival to the ER (there isn't an "Ambulance Only", or "Deliveries" restriction to keep people from navigating around back)

Does Waze have a "Please find somewhere to turn around" prompt? Otherwise I'd be nasty to miss a dirt side out in a rural location.
[ img ]

Honestly, I'll be done editing when Waze knows the fastest way between all my destinations
Jarve1024
Area Manager
Area Manager

Return to Nova Scotia