Local Greetings!

Post by butlermatt
Hi Folks,

Not sure if there are many/any other users from Nova Scotia, so I thought I'd just start a greeting thread. Personally I'm in Cape Breton myself. I only started using Waze today, after reading the various reports that they were acquired by Google.

Hopefully this means in the future we will also see a movement of the base maps over to Google Maps (particularly in the live view and mobile app) as in my area many of the roads are plotted correctly however the corresponding land is missing and they are all showing in the ocean ;-)

Additionally I'm looking forward to being able to help with the Map Editing once my routes start to appear (24 hours or more I understand?). I've already done a fair bit of work with Map Maker for Google Maps and can see a number of areas I have to make similar updates to the Waze maps.

Looking forward to getting into this App more.
Matt
butlermatt

POSTER_ID:16063406

Send a message

Post by butlermatt
doctorkb wrote:Welcome, Matt!
With a little bit of work, I've found the Waze maps to be superior to Google's -- with the team of committed volunteer editors, we've been able to respond to local issues much more quickly (e.g. the Skagit bridge collapse in WA) and route the users better.
I wasn't referring to the customized road maps but the base maps themselves, because as I mentioned, the current base maps put large portions of my town under water ;)
doctorkb wrote: As one of the Canada Country Managers, I'm happy to help out in whatever part of the country that needs it... let me know if you need any assistance / advice / whatever. :)
I've been doing a fair bit of map editing thus far myself with the small areas I've opened and have fixed a number of issues already, however due to the low usage in my area at the moment many of the problems I'm finding by manually checking each street. Many of the streets are showing no turns when there should be, etc, but the routing has not automatically detected it as they've not been used ;)

Matt
butlermatt
Send a message

Post by ColinsGoat
doctorkb wrote: I've asked Waze staff to look into that. :)
Has there been any further effort to fix this base map problem? For example, a large portion of Halifax seems to be underwater too. Of course it doesn't affect performance in any way, but it is aesthetically displeasing.
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///c7J4Vm[/img]
Area Manager: Atlantic provinces
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake

Post by doctorkb
Welcome, Matt!

Good to see you here!

With a little bit of work, I've found the Waze maps to be superior to Google's -- with the team of committed volunteer editors, we've been able to respond to local issues much more quickly (e.g. the Skagit bridge collapse in WA) and route the users better.

As one of the Canada Country Managers, I'm happy to help out in whatever part of the country that needs it... let me know if you need any assistance / advice / whatever. :)
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Ahh, gotcha!

Yes, I've noticed the water issue in the Vancouver, BC area as well (e.g. UBC is entirely under water, as is Stanley Park).

I've asked Waze staff to look into that. :)
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message