Parking Lots - St. James / Polo Park Area

Post by Got2BeKd
Do to the large number of interconnected parking lots in the St. James / Polo Park area, there have been some complaints about being routed to destinations through a myriad of parking lots. To try to reduce this, I have changed some parking lot roads in the area to streets. I have done this for parking lot roads that have traffic lights controlling access. This should help reduce travel through the parking lots as transitioning from a parking lot road segment to a regular road segment incurs a routing penalty. I have locked these segments at Level 3 at this time while I monitor any changes over the next couple weeks.

Sample of work

This may be an effective model to deploy near St. Vital Mall, and Regent W (Kildonan Mall area) if this is effective, as this may prevent the issues from happening. Again, I am doing this only for those segments which meet a major road and have access controlled by traffic lights.
Got2BeKd
State Manager
State Manager

POSTER_ID:16860051

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
This is a strange problem to have to solve.

Do you have an example of the route that was being complained about? I've not heard this in any other location...
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Yeah, that's strange.

Did you check route speeds at the time the URs were reported? Is there any chance that St. James is VERY slow sometimes?
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by Got2BeKd
Here is one example. It was the most simple situation, so I was using it to test out. The destination is the blue star. The routing follows the red path, through parking lots of several companies. The green path would take far less parking lot, and when looking at the timings in Route Speeds script, it also takes less time.

http://i.imgur.com/5Ctut2e.png

I was putting in the street segment so that going between those parking lots would incur a penalty, to see if that changed the routing, or if this was not going to happen as the faster route actually involves going away (based on GPS coordinates) from the destination, which generally isn't favored in route search algorithms. I plan to check on this after the next map rebuild. If it does not change the routing on this small path, then I would change them back. Updating these segments should not have any significant impact on other routes in the area.

These parking lots are not designed for heavy through traffic. The first part of it goes directly in front of a Canadian Tire entrance. I didn't want to remove the parking lot roads, as they are helpful in navigating to the specific store destinations, but I don't feel that these are safe to have as suggested routes.
Got2BeKd
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message