Trouble/Confusion With the Routing Engine

Post by GeekGuy61
Hello Wazers!

I've been cleaning up the Port Renfrew area of Vancouver Island, with the goal of allowing Waze to recognize the back-country route from Mesachie Lake to Port Renfrew -- a route I suspected was not being recognized because of many denied turns. I've given directions to all the roads and cleaned up all the turns in and around Port Renfrew, including the entire Pacific Marine Road (the "back road") between Renfrew and Mesachie. After waiting a full week for the map to update, Waze still cannot find the route.

Here's the really wierd part: Waze can find all the component routes between Mesachie and Renfrew (including overlapping routes), but it cannot find the whole route. Nor has Waze ever been able to find the an alternate route (the most obvious one would be back to the Trans-Canada Highway, then to Renfrew through Victoria and Sooke). I've driven that route using Waze and also know Waze can find the component routes, but not the entirety.

Here is a link to a matrix showing what Waze find and does not find on the back road route... it clearly shows how Waze know the component routes and overlaps:

Worth noting is that the entire route is without cellular coverage.

PS: I've left several small segments on Pacific Marine Road (that the validator is flagging is unneeded) as they represent single-lane bridges. Any feedback on how they should be marked, if at all, or if they should be removed.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards, GeekGuy61
GeekGuy61
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16976085

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
First question: What street types are involved that differ from the "front road" ?

Second thing: go ahead and remove those junction nodes that validator is flagging for those bridges. They're a remnant of the basemap import and don't serve a purpose.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Could be, but as "streets" get pruned from a potential route fairly early, the solution is actually to upgrade it to at least PS.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
PS looks about right. If it is a mH, we'll need to upgrade the things it connects to as well.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by GeekGuy61
The alternate route that Waze could find is, except for the beginning and end access points to the route, entirely "Major Highway".

As FYI: Pacific Marine Road (the "Back [Country] Road" as I called it) is in Waze as a "Street". Actually, given it's use, I think it should be a "Primary Street" or a "Minor Highway".

I'll remove the separate segments for single-lane bridges.
GeekGuy61
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by GeekGuy61
Single-Lane bridge segments have been removed.

I wonder if Segment Length might have something to do with the routing problem. See viewtopic.php?f=276&t=42998&start=30
GeekGuy61
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by GeekGuy61
Pacific Marine Road would certainly qualify as a Primary Street. Would it, under the new classification system you mentioned, qualify as a Minor Highway? It is the best alternate route to heading east, then south through Victoria.
GeekGuy61
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by GeekGuy61
Woo Hoo! It started working about a week ago (a little slow to getting to this reply).
Took over a week since my last update for Waze before the routing engine could route both directions between Mesachie Lake and Port Renfrew.
Thanks DoctorKB for the guidance!
Now on to getting Sooke<->Port Renfrew to work in both directions...
GeekGuy61
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message