Post by Kayos_On_The_Road
I had some time this morning and have changed all of the streets in New West to add the cardinal to the names. There are save issues with WME at the moment, so I've only done the streets, not the avenues. I'll do the avenues in another sitting when there are no issues with WME.
Kayos_On_The_Road
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S7 (7.0 stock), waze version always latest beta.
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Waze Beta Leader (Android)
Canada Wazeopedia
https://s.waze.tools/c6.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c1/ ... Tester.png

Post by Kayos_On_The_Road
As previously posted by Kris, the main thing we're looking for is consistency. In this case, these streets were shown as ordinals north of 10th, so now it's consistent on both sides of 10th. Also note that 10th itself is a mixed name with some segments as 10th Ave and some as 10 Ave. This will be aligned to 10th. As for other areas, in most situations we only use 1, 2, 3 etc rather than 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but I know there are some ordinals in Vancouver, which can stay as is and others should be changed to match if they currently don't. For others, we can review for consistency before making any changes or deciding.
Kayos_On_The_Road
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S7 (7.0 stock), waze version always latest beta.
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Waze Beta Leader (Android)
Canada Wazeopedia
https://s.waze.tools/c6.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c1/ ... Tester.png

Post by Trexer0
There was recently a error reported in New West by a user about the naming of New West streets saying it should be Fourth and not 4th. I came to the forums for some guidance and saw this recent thread.

I'm a New West resident and quite familiar with the naming of streets in the area. The city refers to all streets by the written letter and all street signs have the name written out and do not display a number. The vast majority of businesses in the area also given their address in that format. Canada Post also appears to reference the address with the written out number.
I'm a newbie editor but considering the written form is overwhelming used, I think it would be appropriate to make an exception for New West with regards to naming the streets with the written name.
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by Trexer0
The highest numbered street is 23rd.

I've now had a closer look at all the street signs and I I need to adjust some of my previous comments. Street signs appear to only use written numbers for Eighth St and Ave and below. I.e. streets and avenues with numbers higher than 8 are displayed as numerals on signs. The city officially refers to these streets by their full written name however.

The heart of the city is composed of streets with their names written out.

Clearly New West should be either all numerals or all written numbers.
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Trexer0
What about adding the written numbers as an alternate name?
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Trexer0
There are a few URs in New West over the road names not matching the signs. Are we going to make any changes to how the streets are named in New West?
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Trexer0
Is the intent to expand this outside of New West? Neighbouring Burnaby and Vancouver have all their numbered road set using the ordinal name.
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Trexer0
Thank you for the clarification. Despite my efforts to seek out definitions of the terms used it seems I misunderstood the changes that were taking place. Great to see that we have a consistent way of naming roads in New West now that is also consistent with neighbouring cities.
Trexer0
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message