Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Vancouver Island Project

Post by BryceCampbell
Just finishing off Hwy14 fromLangford to Port Renfrew - And wondering on the naming of W Sooke Rd and Sooke Rd -- These are both part of Hwy14, so Hwy14 should be the Alternative Street Name? Both Street signs, that I've seen, and the iMapBC use W Sooke Rd and Sooke Rd (iMapBC will use a "14" road shield too) --
BryceCampbell
Answers: 4

POSTER_ID:17095236

Send a message

Post by BryceCampbell
doctorkb wrote:It's good to have it in the alt name, and I'd like to start a discussion somewhere about standardizing them - perhaps in the format of "BC-xx" (or "AB-xx") to facilitate shielding later.
I totally forgot about this conversation... anyhow, for in regards to starting discussion about standardizing Hwy naming for shields, is that something to be discussed in the standard forums or within the Canadian Champs?
And in the meantime, shall I just alt name "BC-xx" or keep to the current rule of Hwy-xx? Personally, given this is an alt name, BC-xx my preference.
BryceCampbell
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
mtylerb wrote:
BryceCampbell wrote:Just finishing off Hwy14 fromLangford to Port Renfrew - And wondering on the naming of W Sooke Rd and Sooke Rd -- These are both part of Hwy14, so Hwy14 should be the Alternative Street Name? Both Street signs, that I've seen, and the iMapBC use W Sooke Rd and Sooke Rd (iMapBC will use a "14" road shield too) --
The primary name should match the street signs, not the shields. We have a similar situation in Edmonton with Manning Dr also being Hwy 15. You can see the PL here. You'll notice that Hwy 15 isn't even in the alt name, although I don't see the harm to adding it.
A few more examples:
Anthony Henday Drive, Edmonton (AB-216)
Yellowhead Trail, Edmonton (TCH-16)
Stony Trail, Calgary (AB-201)
Deerfoot Trail, Calgary (AB-2)
16 Ave NW, Calgary (TCH-1)
parts of 20 Ave, Victoria St, 1 Ave; Prince George, BC (TCH-16)
W Georgia, Vancouver (BC-99, BC-1A)
Water Ave, Hope (TCH-1)

Need I go on? :D

It's good to have it in the alt name, and I'd like to start a discussion somewhere about standardizing them - perhaps in the format of "BC-xx" (or "AB-xx") to facilitate shielding later.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by Kayos_On_The_Road
For now please use Hwy-xx. Discussions about using provincial alt names is part of shielding and is not a priority for staff at the moment and is not coming to Canada anytime soon.
Kayos_On_The_Road
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S7 (7.0 stock), waze version always latest beta.
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Waze Beta Leader (Android)
Canada Wazeopedia
https://s.waze.tools/c6.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c1/ ... Tester.png

Post by mtylerb
BryceCampbell wrote:Just finishing off Hwy14 fromLangford to Port Renfrew - And wondering on the naming of W Sooke Rd and Sooke Rd -- These are both part of Hwy14, so Hwy14 should be the Alternative Street Name? Both Street signs, that I've seen, and the iMapBC use W Sooke Rd and Sooke Rd (iMapBC will use a "14" road shield too) --
The primary name should match the street signs, not the shields. We have a similar situation in Edmonton with Manning Dr also being Hwy 15. You can see the PL here. You'll notice that Hwy 15 isn't even in the alt name, although I don't see the harm to adding it.
mtylerb
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message