FC standards for PEI/Charlottetown

Post by ivanvector_yyz
Earlier today I posted in the unlock forum about FC changes in Charlottetown, and several more senior editors suggested I should take it up here.

Regarding the resource that qazxcvbnmm found (https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/in ... -roads-map) I hadn't seen that one before, but it seems incomplete. This looks like a statistical map of roads that may be eligible for federal funding, rather than an indication of their actual designation. Large parts of the province aren't covered at all. And as you can see, all of the designations just end at urban boundaries.

A while ago I posted here about the PEI Public Water Map, which categorizes roads by their designation in the provincial legislation. But this map also drops all designations at urban boundaries, I think because the PEI government doesn't have jurisdiction over roads within Charlottetown and Summerside so they just don't bother.

Unfortunately the two cities don't publish anything similar, at least that I've been able to find. Charlottetown has things like a truck route map and a priority snow clearing map, but these don't match up well with function classes either. I'll come back to this.

For rural roads, I think the water map is authoritative. As far as Waze types:
  • Freeway is easy, there aren't any.
  • Arterial roads should be major highways, but maybe with a couple exceptions (routes 4 and 142)
  • Collector roads should be minor highways
  • Local roads are more difficult, the legislation just includes every road that isn't one of the other two. Some are good paved roads, others are gravel roads, some are the clay roads that some of you have already heard me complain about (e.g. Peters Road). I don't have a good solution to this at the moment.
For urban areas, Wazeopedia suggests following an official route map, but there aren't any. It also recommends that signed routes should maintain the same designation through the city, but that doesn't really work here either because the signage is inconsistent. Routes 1 and 2 used to run through the city but both have been reassigned to the arterial highway/ring road/bypass/whatever in the last 10-15 years. As far as I can tell all of the route 1 signs are gone, but Charlottetown has so many route 2 signs still up on streets that were never highways that the designation is meaningless: if you tried to follow route 2 inside the city you'd go in circles. There's also route 236, which has exactly one sign: a "route ends" sign at the southern end. None of these are useful for navigation.

My idea for Charlottetown is to designate all of the obviously arterial roads as minor highways, which are roughly the ones I listed in my original post. These are generally roads with higher speed limits, free traffic flow (traffic lights or roundabouts instead of stop signs) and they generally form a grid. This allows alternative routing out of the core, allows the bypass to stay a higher function class, and allows for some resolution for primary routes within neighbourhoods which is mostly missing presently.

After I looked into it a bit more, Charlottetown (pop. ~45,000 or 69,000 with surrounding area) is really the only urban area that this would apply to. Maybe Summerside could use some tweaking but I'm not as familiar, and I mentioned Stratford before but it's fine as is.

Sorry again for the long post, but thanks for your input.
ivanvector_yyz

POSTER_ID:17130998

Send a message
ivanvector_yyz
Area Manager, Prince Edward Island