PEI Function Class questions

Post by ivanvector_yyz
I've come across a number of segments marked with definitely the wrong FC, but before I go around trying to fix them I'm interested in feedback from more experienced folks.

In PEI we have the usual gravel roads you find everywhere: the full-width graded earth roads topped with loose gravel, usually with drainage ditches and some cleared area back of the road where two cars can pass pretty comfortably most of the time. But then we also have single-width dirt roads which are driveable (usually, if it's not too wet) but you might come across a downed tree blocking the path and have to back out, or if you come across another car one of you is going to end up backing up to a good spot to pull over. They can get pretty deep ruts in them from people driving their trucks through when it's muddy, too. Roads that look like this (yes, that's a road, it's provincial route 231 in fact).

For the first type, using "street" and marking unpaved seems to be fine, that's how it's done elsewhere in Canada. For the second type I'm not so sure, we don't seem to have roads like this in other parts of the country that are part of the network, and not like logging roads or utility service roads, or actually someone's driveway. The closest I've found was a pipeline road outside Yellowknife which we have marked as a "private road", and, well, it is a private road. I think that most general users (especially tourists) would not want to get routed onto one of these roads and it might even be dangerous if they're in the wrong car and they encounter poor road conditions, so I've been setting some of these as "off-road/not maintained", even though that's not really accurate.

What would be best practice for these?
ivanvector_yyz

POSTER_ID:17130998

Send a message
ivanvector_yyz
Area Manager, Prince Edward Island

Post by doctorkb
I'd say "off-road / not maintained" is the correct classification for those.

If they're dirt roads that get so rutted as to be impassable, Waze shouldn't be routing with them, IMO.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by ivanvector_yyz
That's what I thought, yeah. Thanks for confirming.
ivanvector_yyz
Send a message
ivanvector_yyz
Area Manager, Prince Edward Island