Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Cameras

Post by SHOManiac
Greetings! I am wondering if on the Waze Champs could look into something for me regarding Cameras in my region. For some reason I have no ability to remove/approve/add anything to do with Cameras. Even cameras I've added to the map (as a test) myself I can not even edit or remove.

When I click on a camera this is my view.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/656 ... .11.30.png

I'm just wondering if anyone can explain why this is? I've had my mentor look at Saskatoon and he can edit them just fine. I have tried turning off all my scripts and still it's the same.

Thanks!
SHOManiac

POSTER_ID:17397396

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
I'm not certain if it is rank-related (I believe we may have set the camera approval to R3 or R4), but that is quite likely.

The bottom line is that VERY few cameras actually meet the criteria for inclusion in Waze.

If the camera is not permanently at a location, it is not eligible. Speed cameras in Saskatchewan are an example of this - there are fewer cameras than locations and are moved randomly.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Just checked my e-mail. In December, we had the "allow_camera" permission raised to R3. Unfortunately, we can't separate "approval" from "removal" - so anything to do with cameras in WME is all one setting.

Something to look forward to with your rank increase when it comes! :D
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
I hope for your sake that they actually analyse the effects. In Edmonton, we have seen a net increase of city revenue, but no net effect on actual traffic safety.

Photo radar should be completely outlawed across the country.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by SHOManiac
You bet I realize this and I had been removing them. If you look at Saskatoon there are actually quite a few people have added but I can't do anything with them. However, if they are set to R3/4 then that explains why I can't do anything with them any longer.
SHOManiac
Send a message

Post by SHOManiac
Ok thanks for the heads up and that explains it. Our Pilot project on the cameras is ending in SK and it's my suspicion that they will make them a permanent fixture. I am not sure if that means filling all the boxes with cameras or if they still plan to move them around. If they do become fixed I will re-visit getting them onto the map.
SHOManiac
Send a message

Post by SHOManiac
Well that is the debate....has it actually had an impact on safety or has all it done is get people to slow down around the cameras? In 2 years the cameras have generated 20 million dollars. I'm not sure if that number is Saskatoon only or the whole province but with that kind of income I'm going to say that it's unlikely they will get rid of them. The spin doctors that want them will crunch the numbers to make them favorable to keep.
I use the Speed Limit function on the app a lot and it's a great reminder in case I drift above my 10% limit. I have added speeds to all roads that were missing them and am working to get the roads done that are above my pay grade.
SHOManiac
Send a message

Post by SHOManiac
We have our answer. As if there would be any doubt.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... 94?cmp=rss
SHOManiac
Send a message