Highway types and names

Moderators: hmarian, doctorkb, Kayos_On_The_Road, manoeuvre, Canada Champs

Highway types and names

Postby erablian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 pm

We should try to use the same style for names and road types for rural highways. Here are the system I have been using, but I am open to other ideas. (While making this list, I referred to Wikipedia’s list of Saskatchewan provincial highways.)

* Highways 1–99: “Major Highway” or “Freeway”. Name example: “Hwy 35”
* Highways 100–199: not sure here, never driven on any.
* Highways 200–299 and 300–399: “Minor Highway”. Name example: “Hwy 305”
* Highways 600–699 (north-south grid roads), 700–799 (east-west grid roads). From my understanding/experience these are particularly well-built and -maintained gravel roads that can take a pounding from fully loaded grain trucks, but they are generally not the preferred routes for long-distance travel. “Primary Street”. Name example: “Grid Rd 675”.
* Highways 900–999: “Minor Highway”. Name example: “Hwy 982”.

What does everybody think?
erablian
State Manager
State Manager

Re: Highway types and names

Postby EightBitRanger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:49 am

Makes sense for the most part but here's my two cents:

I would think the only freeways we'd really need would be:
Highway 1 between Alberta and Manitoba.
Highway 11 from Regina to Prince Alberta.
Highway 16 from Alberta to Manitoba.

Pretty much everything else in the 1-99 category could be a major highway if twinned and a minor highway if not? And if sections of highway are fairly short and/or don't go anywhere (Highway 60 branches from Highway 7 and stops once it hits Pike Lake. Short, and a dead end)

You're right about the 100-199 section, there's not really a whole lot to them. I've only been on 106 myself, and its pretty much like any other paved 2-lane highway out in the middle of nowhere.

Everything else seems alright. I try to avoid gravel in my car, but if I had to I'd be more comfortable on any of the 600/700 roads than most Alberta range roads I've been on. Used to take 647 a lot growing up.
[ img ]
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M) running Android v4.4.2
Waze v3.7.8.0
EightBitRanger

Postby doctorkb » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm

EightBitRanger wrote:Makes sense for the most part but here's my two cents:

I would think the only freeways we'd really need would be:

I'm assuming you're only talking about inter-city here -- Circle Drive and part of Idylwyld in Saskatoon both count as freeways...

Pretty much everything else in the 1-99 category could be a major highway if twinned and a minor highway if not?

If it's twinned (i.e. divided, with at least two lanes in each direction), it should be Freeway. If not, a Major Highway.

You're right about the 100-199 section, there's not really a whole lot to them. I've only been on 106 myself, and its pretty much like any other paved 2-lane highway out in the middle of nowhere.

So... minor highway?

Everything else seems alright. I try to avoid gravel in my car, but if I had to I'd be more comfortable on any of the 600/700 roads than most Alberta range roads I've been on. Used to take 647 a lot growing up.

I'd suggest attempting to distinguish between "good" gravel and "bad" gravel and making sure the "bad" gravel gets Dirt/4x4 designation. Even "good" gravel should probably get that -- Dirt/4x4 routes just like Primary Street, but has the added benefit of someone being able to say "avoid" or "avoid long".
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dokterew » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Sask highways and rural roads do need a lot of work still. Around Regina there are barely passable dirt roads that aren't maintained marked as primar, single lane highways with narrow shoulder marked as major highway. I suppose for their local purpose it's appropriate, but definitely not to the standards.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SkiDooGuy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:46 pm

dokterew wrote:Sask highways and rural roads do need a lot of work still. Around Regina there are barely passable dirt roads that aren't maintained marked as primar, single lane highways with narrow shoulder marked as major highway. I suppose for their local purpose it's appropriate, but definitely not to the standards.

And that's where you come in. :)

As the local you can do a great job of making sure we know how roads really are and can mark them as such.
I am searching for any kind of official classification of road types, but am having no luck so far.

Please start marking the dirt roads as such. That can be an important difference if people don't want to travel dirt.

As you know, please message me if you need anything!
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby dokterew » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Im looking more closely and can't figure why Hwy 11 from Regina to Saskatoon is not Freeway? If Stoon to PA is Freeway, this stretch most certainly has to be freeway also.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dokterew » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:34 pm

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 0,60897452

thinking this one through. I don't believe the highlighted pieces should remain Major highway. If someone is coming to Regina from the North and choose to head Eastbound on ringroad they'll take the loop. Only if you're coming from the south trying to go east on Ring Rd will you have to use the highligted route? Should this be changed to primary street to match the criteria. I do not see an impact to long distance routing?
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dokterew » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:29 am

For anyone that finds this and wants to use it

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/ ... cation.pdf
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dokterew » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:25 am

Just made the trip to Medicine Hat an notice hwy 1 is technically names incorrect. The westbound lanes are named "hwy 1 West", and eastbound lanes named "hwy 1 east". It's clear why someone named them as such but it is not the named of the road and technically died not follow the road meningitis guidelines. I was able to fix up other gets named this away that had been unlocked for me but these areas are still locked.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SkiDooGuy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:15 am

Let me know what you need and I will get them.
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Next

Return to Saskatchewan