Highway types and names

Moderators: hmarian, doctorkb, Kayos_On_The_Road, manoeuvre, Canada Champs

Re: Highway types and names

Postby ColinsGoat » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:44 am

erablian wrote:We should try to use the same style for names and road types for rural highways. Here are the system I have been using, but I am open to other ideas.

* Highways 600–699 (north-south grid roads), 700–799 (east-west grid roads). From my understanding/experience these are particularly well-built and -maintained gravel roads that can take a pounding from fully loaded grain trucks, but they are generally not the preferred routes for long-distance travel. “Primary Street”. Name example: “Grid Rd 675”.

Has there been any decision / consensus on this? I noticed that Google Maps Street View marks such roads as "SK-789". Marking them as primary streets makes sense to me; should the other apparently nameless grid roads be categorized as just "street"?
[ img ]
Area Manager: Atlantic provinces
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Got2BeKd » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:19 am

I have checked with SkiDooGuy, and I have posted some guidance on the Waze Wiki-Canada-Saskatchewan Roads. With this as a guide we should be able to move forward.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Country Manager: Canada
Got2BeKd
State Manager
State Manager

Postby doctorkb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:41 am

FYI: Dirt Roads / 4x4 are routed the same as PS, with the exception of the client setting to avoid dirt roads.

I really wish we had seen the "attribute" dirt road setting by now... then we could have both Street and PS marked as dirt.
Waze Global Champ
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ColinsGoat » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Since all the roads are dirt roads, would it make sense then to categorize the unnamed dirt roads as "street" in order to give an appropriate weight to the routing algorithm? It seems reasonable for what I perceive to be their relative navigational value outside of the towns (although I have never actually been to rural SK...). Those roads seem to have more value than something equated with a "4x4 trail".

Also, are we calling the named grid roads, i.e., the 600-799 series, as "Grid Rd 799" or "Hwy 799"?
[ img ]
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby doctorkb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Well, I thought we had decided to wait until at least January before degrading things to 4x4/dirt roads as the attribute setting was coming REALLY soon.

That said, we don't have a choice -- this is a case of poor labels. We wouldn't map something that was as poor as a "4x4 trail", but we want the "avoid" and "avoid long" dirt road setting to work in the client.

I've been caught by this in other apps -- I spent about 5 hours on grid roads in Alberta about 5 years ago, thanks to Google Maps. It would have been about 2 hours on normal highway and 10 minutes on grid roads if it hadn't tried to route me the quickest way...
Waze Global Champ
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ColinsGoat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:21 am

I guess we should revisit this thread in a couple of months?
[ img ]
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SkiDooGuy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Correct, the dirt road attribute should be coming sooner than later. So leaving them as is is the best thing to do for now. Unfortunately....
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Jay91150 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi folks,
for what it's worth, I took a few minutes over the weekend and took the cardinal directions off Hwy 1 from the AB/BC border to the SK/MB border. So it just says "Hwy 1" now, no eastbound or westbound.
Jay91150

Postby dokterew » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:28 am

Being from Saskabush, I would differ "dirt" roads from Gravel roads. many rural unpaved roads are maintained as well as highways, but no asphalt. It can be pretty hit and miss which ones these are and local knowledge can possibly be the only sure thing. Some grids go nice groomed gravel to clay dirt at a moments notice. Both are fine when dry, but get some rain and the dirt roads are impassable, whereas the gravel is no problem. Some gravel roads are the main/common route or #1 alternates from points A-B.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby doctorkb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:50 am

Understood, dokterew. The issue is that we don't have the ability to distinguish three levels (dirt, gravel, paved), only two.
Waze Global Champ
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Saskatchewan