Highway types and names

Moderators: hmarian, doctorkb, Kayos_On_The_Road, manoeuvre, Canada Champs

Re: Highway types and names

Postby ColinsGoat » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:51 am

dokterew wrote:Being from Saskabush...

What are your native Saskabushian thoughts on the 600-799 series roads? Do the locals call them "Grid Rd 799" or "Hwy 799"? Or something else? This still isn't clear to me.
[ img ]
Area Manager: Atlantic provinces
Area Manager: a rectangular chunk of Saskatchewan bounded approximately by Melfort and Tobin Lake
ColinsGoat
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dokterew » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:08 am

late reply i see. I dont' think they call them anything.

"Go north on 6, and take a right at the 3rd grid past the sign for Town-name. then turn left at the 4th grid right before the big white farm house with the 3 bins across the road from it. We're the 1st farm on the right past the tracks"

If its' for some public place it would be "Go north on 6 about 10 min and follow the sings"
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby doctorkb » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:15 am

Ok, what if you were calling 911 and trying to give them an address?
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dokterew » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:12 am

doctorkb wrote:Ok, what if you were calling 911 and trying to give them an address?

It wasn't 911, but when I called the police on something, those were the exact type of directions I gave.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SHOManiac » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Here is my two cents worth from a local SK'er. We never call a highway a Freeway. It's always a highway, even if it's divided. No on here ever calls it a freeway.
From my experience anything other than a major highway like 16 or 11 is generally referred to as a secondary highway. In most cases those secondary highways only serve to get to small towns or connect between major highways.
Secondary highways can sometimes be pretty good roads but in recent years most of them are falling into disrepair so stretches of them can go from pavement (broken) to grid and back to pavement.
Call 911 in a rural area can get pretty tricky. In most cases if that happens the cops in that area tend to know the residents and where they live or 911 will fix onto GPS co-ordinates. Otherwise it's direction given just like mentioned above.

I work in sales and trying to ship things to small communities is a challenge. Most don't have street addresses. LOL, most of those residents wouldn't even remember their house number if you asked. They would know their box number though. :)
SHOManiac

Postby dokterew » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 pm

JoelFradette71 wrote:Here is my two cents worth from a local SK'er. We never call a highway a Freeway. It's always a highway, even if it's divided. No on here ever calls it a freeway.
From my experience anything other than a major highway like 16 or 11 is generally referred to as a secondary highway. In most cases those secondary highways only serve to get to small towns or connect between major highways.
Secondary highways can sometimes be pretty good roads but in recent years most of them are falling into disrepair so stretches of them can go from pavement (broken) to grid and back to pavement.
Call 911 in a rural area can get pretty tricky. In most cases if that happens the cops in that area tend to know the residents and where they live or 911 will fix onto GPS co-ordinates. Otherwise it's direction given just like mentioned above.

I work in sales and trying to ship things to small communities is a challenge. Most don't have street addresses. LOL, most of those residents wouldn't even remember their house number if you asked. They would know their box number though. :)

I believe the terms "freeway" vs "highway" are simply classifications used for waze to prioritize routing decisions. If there's "freeway" between points A&B it will route the user to use it rather than route you through highways or other roads that may be slower but a shorter distance.
dokterew
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby doctorkb » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Truthfully, in most of Canada, we'd have almost no Freeway (except within some of the major metropolitan areas) unless we made it work for our own purposes.

A lot of what we use the road classifications for has nothing to do with their UI name and everything to do with what they're designed for.

For instance, I just updated Saskatoon's roads to use both Highway types more - according to the map I found, these are classified as major and minor arterial roads, hence the update.
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Saskatchewan