North East Anthony Henday - Edmonton

Post by napking24
As I know many of you are aware, the Northeast Anthony Henday has been under major construction.
The coming weeks will present lots of changes in this area, as the construction is moving to a new phase for the winter. The previous E-W yellowhead bridges (over the CN lines) will be demolished and new bridges built in their place. Major re-routing of the highway will be in place soon to maintain traffic. In addition, the Eastern lanes of the AHD north of the yellowhead are currently open to allow acces to businesses in the area.

I have been monitoring the AHD website, and also receive regular updates since I work in this area. I will share information as best I can. I'm starting this new topic to organize the updates for this new phase.

I have already started work on the roadways north of the yellowhead, since I have multiple drive tracks already. My main goal right now is to get the roads to a usable status, for navigating and routing. I do need immediate help with some connections to higher locked roads, particularly right here. Since I am a newish map editor with waze, I want to make sure I contribute in a positive way. (I have already reviewed the tutorials and best practices articles, but just need practice getting better). Thanks for all your help and lets make these updates great!
napking24

POSTER_ID:17087832

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Let me know if you need anything from me...
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
During construction, I'd sooner re-align mainline traffic even if it is using the ramps temporarily.

Once construction is complete, we'll put everything where it should be.

As has been discussed, when there are closures, we need to have them time-bounded -- when the NEAH traffic page says something is open, I don't want to see us get caught with a closure because it didn't open precisely when they said it would and we kept it closed for longer.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Napking: I want to unlock this for you to do the updates as I can't figure out where we're at in the maps.

However, I don't want to just unlock it now, and leave it for days. Do you have a time in the evening or weekend where we can work collaboratively for me to unlock / remove closures, then you update, and I re-lock / re-close?
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
"We done bitches"...

Or so the sign said. Drove the new leg today - man, it is quite nice! I drove both directions and tried to snag the exit numbers as I went past. I hope I got them all correct, but since I didn't take the exits, I may be missing some wayfinding parts to the ramps.

Some key parts that I noticed have changed:

1. ramps for Wye Rd / Sherwood Park Freeway - the whole area has changed, and needs some help.

2. ramps for Broadmoor and Hwy 16 E may be off

3. exit number for NB Henday -> Whitemud / Hwy 628 needs to be found

4. exit number for NB/SB Henday -> Baseline needs to be found

5. all signage once on a ramp or C-D road needs to be double checked
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by erablian
napking24 wrote:I do need immediate help with some connections to higher locked roads, particularly right here. Since I am a newish map editor with waze, I want to make sure I contribute in a positive way. (I have already reviewed the tutorials and best practices articles, but just need practice getting better). Thanks for all your help and lets make these updates great!
I connected that segment for you. Thanks for taking an interest in updating this construction zone. It will be a major win for Waze and Waze users if the map matches reality during the many changes there.
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]

Post by Grimace780
As an occasional driver of this area I'm very impressed at how true Waze has been to the actual roads i spite of constant change.

One suggestion... If you find yourself on a new section and aren't able to use the paving function, drop a "General Map Error" pin then go back later and put details in the comments.

Example: A while back the signage directed me to a new exit from 216 northbound toward Wye Road eastbound. I dropped a General Map Error pin and continued into Sherwood Park. I pulled off to the right into the first parking lot and added a comment, "New ramp between 216 and Wye. My actual GPS path is the new road."

On my next trip the road had been updated and Waze directed me down the new path. I saw dots along the new path and the icon on my handheld turned into the animated Pac Man. Am I a map geek to get excited to be the first person to verify a major route? ;)
Grimace780
Send a message

Post by napking24
Mostly, I'm looking for direction on how to best draw on the upper level help. I think I'll be locked out of most changes along the existing roads and won't be able to make alignment changes, etc. I fear the best I can really do is report on what I see in the area. Should I mostly post here? What about using the in-app "general error" reporting?

Doctorkb, I know we've talked in the past about deleting old roads vs preserving and re-aligning. From what I've seen, the main Hwy 16 E-W roadways will be diverted onto the alignment for new on-off-ramps. There a difference between drawing these new ramps brand new and connecting the mainline, versus simply re-aligning the mainline traffic. I'm leaning more towards the second, so that live-users can be current, we preserve traffic data, and begin collecting new GPS traces.

There's also the issue of temporarily using a one-way alignment for two-way traffic. I'm looking mostly at the AHD bridge directly over Hwy 16, and my new AHD north section.

I'll be uploading scans/photos of the traffic drawings when I get the chance.
napking24
Send a message

Post by napking24
okay, let's try this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3lieE ... sp=sharing

That's a PDF that has been circulated from the construction contractor. It's super detailed so it should help us with both the temporary and long-term alignments. Have fun!
napking24
Send a message