Spruce Grove: Century and Golden Spike Roads

Post by Grimace780
Seeking feedback from editors familiar with the Spruce Grove area.

Any idea why Century Road south of Highway 16A in Spruce Grove is labeled as a Minor Highway?

I ask because south of Spruce Grove, Century Road is a paved grid road (Range Road 272) which, according to the Wiki, should be marked primary street at best.

Two miles west is Golden Spike Road (aka Secondary Highway 788). This road is currently set to primary street though I feel it should probably be minor highway given it's 3 digit highway number.

Your thoughts please.

Grimace780

POSTER_ID:17021290

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
It may have been by accident -- the intent would have been for Hwy 788 to be mH, and a Range Road to be Street or PS.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
in looking again, I believe Century Rd is an mH because the township/county plan shows those segments as being arterial. That doesn't mean Golden Spike shouldn't be upgraded (if it is part of Hwy 788), though.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
It is exceptionally strange that Hwy 628 just dead-ends into a Rge Rd...
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by erablian
According to Transportation’s Provincial Highways 500 - 986 Progress Chart, Highway 628 continues east to the Edmonton boundary, although gravel east of Golden Spike Rd.
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]

Post by Grimace780
Upon further research it would appear Golden Spike Road is no longer designated as Hwy 788. According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... l_highways), this change was made in the 2000s. Google Maps still incorrectly shows the 788 designation in Street View (which is where I got my original info). I've driven this road recently and there are no markers indicating 788. Every sign I could see labels the road as Golden Spike or Range Road 273.

As far as I can tell there are no three digit minor highways running south out of Spruce Grove.
Grimace780
Send a message

Post by Grimace780
According to Alberta Transport, Highway 628 continues east of Golden Spike as a gravel / dirt road. Dirt in the traditional sense. Not just the Waze designation.

Between Golden Spike and Highway 60, this road is signed as Township Road 524. Google Maps shows it as Highway 628. Official signage on Highway 60 labels this road as Highway 628. Signage between Highway 60 and Winterburn Road indicate Township Road 524.

I notice the editor now has a check box for "dirt road" in addition to the road type designation.

With this in mind, Highway 628 should probably be set to Minor Highway with the dirt road option checked between Golden Spike and Highway 60. Am I right?

In another thread it was suggested the road name in Waze should match the signs. Your thoughts please.

(I live in the area and regularly use the roads mentioned in this thread.)
Grimace780
Send a message