Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Speed limits on ramps

Post by Grimace780
The speed limit warning feature appeared today. Woot!

Problem: Many ramps in Waze are set to 50 km/h which, most of the time, isn't in line with signage.

Most ramps have a suggested (not a Maximum) speed posted.

In my opinion ramps shouldn't have a speed noted unless there is a posted maximum for the ramp (which is not common).

Your thoughts please. I'd like to hear from some of the more senior editors.
Grimace780

POSTER_ID:17021290

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
In Edmonton, the ramps have a published speed limit on the city's speed limit map. They appear to be working on the premise that, unless otherwise signed, all streets within a municipality are 50 km/h.

What you've listed is in line with the general understanding of how we were going to apply speed limits, and how they've been applied in Ontario -- the orange signs are suggestions and not technically limits, you are correct.

Here is the Edmonton map:
http://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/A ... on_Map.pdf
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
The general standard for both Canada and US is to only put limits that are actual real limits (ie not the orange ones). Most locations leave ramps un-assigned.

In Edmonton, since the City published that map with ramps having 50 km/h limits (though some of the ramps on the map are not 50 km/h and are marked correctly on the map), I felt that was a good starting point. We're discovering that some of the ramps are signed differently from what the City had on that map.

Without the painstaking effort of checking every ramp for limit signs, I'm inclined to leave them as is until reports come in. With the money-grabbing Office of Traffic Safety, I would not put it past them to put a photo radar truck on the ramp and nab anyone doing more than 50. Even if half the tickets were contested, they'd still be ahead. Remember, the City did say they missed revenue targets for photo enforcement in their last reporting period...
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by Dry_B0nes
doctorkb wrote:In Edmonton, the ramps have a published speed limit on the city's speed limit map. They appear to be working on the premise that, unless otherwise signed, all streets within a municipality are 50 km/h.

What you've listed is in line with the general understanding of how we were going to apply speed limits, and how they've been applied in Ontario -- the orange signs are suggestions and not technically limits, you are correct.

Here is the Edmonton map:
http://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/A ... on_Map.pdf
I have a hard time with that (particularly what is shown on the Edmonton Enforcement Map.) For example, a driver heading North on Gateway onto the Henday East. The last posted speed limit on Gateway is 80, and the first posted limit on EB Henday is also 80. There is nothing in-between that indicates any other speed (even an orange "suggested speed" sign). (The limits are visible in SV in Waze, but I'm not sure how to PL that view.) As a driver, I'm not going to slow to 50 on that corner. First, it's "freeway-to-freeway", and second, there isn't even a sign indicating a drop in speed limit. I'm actually surprised to see on the city map that the ramp is considered to be 50 kph. I would expect drivers to report that as an issue constantly (though they haven't...)

Similarly, the Calgary Tr S to Henday W ramp at that same interchange is also marked as 50 on the enforcement map, but is actually (based on signage) at 80 (which is what the Waze map shows.)

In Calgary and Red Deer, most of the major ramps only have suggested (orange) SLs. Very few actually have a posted limit.
In Toronto, there are reports all over the place over blank speed limits on ramps.

My preference is (in order):
1. Orange limits (though not technically a legal limit, it is posted to drivers.)
2. No limits
3. Limits based on last posted white-sign limit.

I expect there are going to be URs regardless, as people (as drivers) will have different expectations about what to see on a ramp.

I'd like to know what the global (or American at least) standard is...

Bones.
Dry_B0nes
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by Dry_B0nes
Hi jaredyyc. Waze map edits and updates are handled by volunteers, who are fixing errors and addressing reports on their free time. As such, sometimes updates are not quite as timely as you might hope. They are addressed in due time, but not necessarily in the order they were submitted (or based on how busy the road is.)

When a user submits a Speed Limit report (or any report, for that matter), it is added to the map for editors to address. If enough information is provided (such as the actual posted speed limit) the editor can address it right away. If it does not have all of the needed information, the editor will have to follow up with the user to get more details. Depending on the lock level, further involvement may be required.

As I requested in the PM, can you please let me know the location you are referring to?

If you are interested in resolving something like this yourself, there are many people who can assist you with getting into Waze map editing. Just let us know.
Dry_B0nes
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by jaredyyc
I've been reporting an incorrect speed limit (50 km/h) posted for a ramp on one of my regular driving routes regularly over the past few weeks (via the Waze app) and still nothing has changed. In this case, the ramp has a white posted speed limit sign, which is 80 km/h. I've attempted to go into the WME and submit the change directly, but have discovered the joys of user level permissions... which has left me no choice but to post my issue here. What happens when someone uses the "report speed limit" feature within the app? This is a ramp (Level 5) that connects from a major road (Level 4?) on to Deerfoot Trail (Level 5)... wouldn't map issues that affect the most number of drivers get some increased priority? If that's the case, when can I expect to see the issue fixed? (I should note that a quick look on Google Street view would verify my claim. Perhaps it would help if we could include a photo of the speed limit sign in the report to make it easier for whomever receives the reports to make the necessary updates.)

Many Thanks!!

Faithful Waze User + Promotor
jaredyyc
Send a message