Post by Jay91150
erablian wrote:I suspect that the minor highways leading into Calgary lose their numbers at the Stoney Trail interchanges.
On this particular bit, since long before Stoney Trail existed (as pavement at least, dunno about on the "books"), I have seen paper maps with "1A" emblems along Crowchild all the way down to Glenmore, and "8" emblems on Glenmore all the way in as far as Macleod (or possibly even as far as Barlow). And of course Macleod is now known as 2A from who-knows-where down to its junction with "Deerfoot" aka 2.

IIRC MapArt was one of the ones that showed highway identifiers well inside the city, for what it's worth.
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
doctorkb wrote:It also appears as though the southern part of Stoney has two numbers: 201 and 22X.
That particular bit is a relatively new thing and I don't know if anyone knows what the ultimate answer is going to be. Historically Highway 22X existed contiguously from its junction with 22 at the west end (where 22 goes from east-west to north-south) all the way east to the 24/901 junction. The portion which is concurrent with Stoney Trail has inherited 201, but I am led to believe that the province originally hadn't intended for either the name "Stoney Trail" nor the 201 number to be put on the east/south portion of the ring road. I haven't heard anything definitive on this overall. I am pretty confident that 22X will adopt the 201 name from Macleod west to 37 Street-ish when the west portion is eventually built.

For what it's worth, "Spruce Meadows Trail" should be just an alias for 22X between Macleod and 24 St SW. The 22X name should be the sole name west of 24 Street to 22X's terminus at 22. I'll put that on my list of things I want to address. (Or would you prefer that 22X be an alias of Spruce Meadows Trail, in that region, so that Spruce Meadows Trail takes precedence?)
doctorkb wrote:Perhaps the City of Calgary maps show this in more detail?
As a 9-1-1 dispatcher, I have access to what the city uses, and it's not particularly definitive either, unless you consider an absence of something to be the final word. (For example, I can enter HWY 8 & 69 ST SW, I can enter GLENMORE TR & 69 ST SW, and I can do GLENMORE TR & 37 ST SW, but I can't get HWY 8 & 37 ST SW to verify. Of course, I can get HWY 8 & GLENMORE TR to verify! Puts it at 101 Street SW at the city limits. Likewise, GLENMORE TR & HWY 560 plots at the opposite city limits, on the east side.)
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
doctorkb wrote:That said, it seems that Crowchild south of Kensington Rd is actually a Freeway until Glenmore.
Also, Glenmore from 18 St SE to Sarcee also looks like a Freeway.

Should we upgrade those?
That makes sense given the roads' construction (with regard to ramps, lack of intersections/lights, etc).
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
doctorkb wrote:
Jay91150 wrote:
doctorkb wrote:That said, it seems that Crowchild south of Kensington Rd is actually a Freeway until Glenmore.
Also, Glenmore from 18 St SE to Sarcee also looks like a Freeway.

Should we upgrade those?
That makes sense given the roads' construction (with regard to ramps, lack of intersections/lights, etc).
They've also got higher speed limits, too, right? (e.g. 70-80 km/h or higher)
Good point. Glenmore is 80 between those sections. Memorial is 60 from Kensington to the bridge over the river, 70 from there to just south of 17 Avenue, and only then does it get up to 80 (and stay there until Glenmore).
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
rschoenberger wrote:Jay, since you mentioned exit numbers, if you have access to the numbers for all the new exits along SE Stoney Trail, you may want to fill in ones that are missing. I've been slowly adding them as I can find verification but I mostly have to go off photos posted to road construction forums.
I don't, but I really should get them (for both this and my paying job). And I can probably do so fairly easily.

doctorkb - speaking of exit numbers, I see that some of the ramps in the Calgary area already have them, but they don't seem to appear on the app. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place - I'll look at it later.
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
While on the topic of major vs minor highways, 1A between Cochrane and Canmore is only two lanes (and barely two lanes in some spots). Would it make more sense for it to be minor instead of (as it is now) major?
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
Fair enough, not a problem.
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by rschoenberger
Hi folks. Just thought I'd add my two cents. I think you've definitely made some improvements here. I've looked at Shaganappi Trail so many times over the last few months thinking "why is it a minor highway?" At least Beddington is a continuation of a minor highway, but I agree with changing it to Primary Street once it enters the city. Long-term, Shaganappi will be the primary N-S corridor in that part of the city anyway.

Re: Stoney Trail / 22X
22X definitely now ends at the Stoney Trail / 88 St interchange. 22X has been removed from all existing signage, and all new signs show Hwy 201 all the way past Deerfoot. Macleod Trail seems to be the transition, but I haven't been able to fully verify all the signs there yet. They might still be changing.

Jay, since you mentioned exit numbers, if you have access to the numbers for all the new exits along SE Stoney Trail, you may want to fill in ones that are missing. I've been slowly adding them as I can find verification but I mostly have to go off photos posted to road construction forums.

Re: Crowchild and Glenmore
Yes, I agree that roads with 80km/h limits or above and no at-grade intersections work well as Freeways. I would have suggested this before, but there seemed to be some resistance at one time. Also, if the SW portion of Crowchild is going to be Freeway, then the NW portion from Stoney Trail to 32 Ave NW should be Freeway as well. They are equivalent road types, and the NW portion is actually signed as 1A in many places, like we discussed back in August.

Thanks, and cheers!
rschoenberger
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Area Manager: Calgary, and the rest of southern Alberta
[img]https:///p9mgM[/img]

Post by rschoenberger
I've updated the NW section of Crowchild now as well.
Yes, that looks good (keeping Crowchild as Major Highway between 32 Ave and 16 Ave). Treating Crowchild as Hwy 1A until it connects with Hwy 1 was our decision back in August as well. And yes, I've found those Provincial maps to be good references in the past; I just wish they'd update them more frequently. :roll:
speaking of exit numbers, I see that some of the ramps in the Calgary area already have them, but they don't seem to appear on the app.
Ramp names don't show up in the app like regular street names. They will be shown and spoken as turn instructions, though.
rschoenberger
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Area Manager: Calgary, and the rest of southern Alberta
[img]https:///p9mgM[/img]