Closures and Changes in Bragg Creek/Redwood Meadows

Post by Jay91150
Hello all,

I have made some complicated closures and detour roads in the area southwest of Calgary, in the towns of Bragg Creek and Redwood Meadows. There is a lot of construction going on in the area to repair damage and reinforce protection related to last year's flood event. I've locked it all to my level (3) because, quite frankly, it seems like there are a number of new(ish) editors in the area which are making the same kind of changes we all make when we're new. No offense meant, folks, but I've got these changes down exactly true to real life and I don't want anyone else changing them because it looks weird to them. Yes, it definitely looks weird in some places. But it's what's being done to deal with the extraordinary things that happened here almost a year ago. Trust me, I'm keeping an eye on it and will revert everything when the time is right. :)
Jay91150

POSTER_ID:16872708

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Thanks for the heads-up, Jay.

For the closures, did you disconnect the closed roads or just add a restriction to it?
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
I agree. Before restrictions were available, we had to disconnect. :)

Instead of just a turn restriction, you may also consider using segment restrictions. Those tend to be more apparent for those of us that are using add-on scripts like WME Colours & Highlights.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Hi Jay,

The first thing to keep in mind is that Waze doesn't use any absolutes when routing. To say it will "never" use a parking lot road or a restricted road simply isn't true.

Waze operates in the realm of penalties -- that is, roads that shouldn't be used (like parking lots, private roads and restricted roads) get assigned penalties for transitioning off of them. These penalties are high enough that (usually), the only way you'd be routed on to one of them is if your start or end point is on one.

Here's a more thorough explanation: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Routing_penalties

With that in mind, adding a restriction will still allow for local traffic, but not through traffic.

Your case of Balsam is different -- that does need to be a turn restriction as well because it should not allow traffic but from one end.

Anyhow, YMMV. I guess the only thing I'd like to add is that you ensure there are reasonable end dates on the restrictions... just in case you forget to come back and fix it to "normal" once again. Usually the project end dates are pretty reliable for this purpose.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
Almost all of them are turn restrictions. One road has had a temporary detour built which comes out onto Hwy 22 where there used to be a fence and deep ditch.

I'm loath to disconnect roads if I don't have to; I figure that should be reserved for only the most dramatic changes like completely digging up the road and altering its course.
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
I could restrict segments, but I have to wrap my head around using that feature properly, for a couple reasons.

One - in order to restrict just the segment in question I'd have to break it off from a larger segment. It almost seems like that would be as time consuming as breaking the segment entirely.

Two - My full time job allows for the same kind of functionality (restricting segments) but if we were to do that, all travel to and from the segment would fail. In other words, for example - Balsam Avenue in Bragg Creek is being closed for sewer & water installation. One end is being left open to allow local residents and people visiting the local businesses to make access. The detour requires that all through traffic turn off at one intersection, go around through some back streets, and rejoin Balsam at another intersection. I could have restricted all of Balsam between those two intersections, but my experience at my "day job" is that if I do that, we can't route to anything on that closed segment - routing completely fails. So instead, I made turn restrictions on the far intersection, the one that will be completely closed, and left the other one, that will allow local traffic to enter, open. By my logic, that should allow people to navigate to the homes and businesses along Balsam, but anyone going through to points beyond (i.e. to my house ;)) will get routed through the back streets accordingly.

Hope that makes sense. If there's a better solution, I welcome it, of course.
Jay91150
Send a message