Fort McMurray area

Post by Jay91150
Hi folks,
I was looking for something to do the other day, so I tackled the Fort McMurray area. There were a bunch of URs in the region which I worked, plus cleaned up all the unknown direction/incorrect one-way (wish I knew why it did that) streets in both Fort McMurray and Fort McKay. I also did work on Hwy 63, from Fort McKay south to Wandering River, including a section where a UR had pointed out that the road has been twinned but did not show as such on the map. I used GPS markers for most of the new (NB) lane's location as the aerial view is too old to use.

This is my first attempt at splitting a road. Let me know if I did everything satisfactorily. The original road has township and range roads going off to each side intermittently along its length; I have no clue what they've done to those roads post-twinning. In my experience in other areas of Alberta (i.e. HWY 1A between Calgary and Cochrane), it's possible that they kept them and just joined them across the extra roadway as you would expect. But it's also possible for some of them to have disappeared or been relocated - one example I recall along the section of 63 appears to be a well site that would have been right in the middle of the new NB lanes.

Having said that, being twinned/divided now, should that section of 63 get Freeway status, or remain Major Highway?
Jay91150

POSTER_ID:16872708

Send a message

Post by doctorkb
It looks ok from what I can see!

You can upgrade it to Freeway if it's designed for higher speeds (like Hwy 1 between Calgary and Canmore).
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Jay91150 wrote:Hi folks,
cleaned up all the unknown direction/incorrect one-way (wish I knew why it did that) streets
Well, I can help you with that!

The basemap was imported with all streets being "unknown" direction, because the data wasn't included with it.

After which, people drove on them. When a street has been unedited, Waze would watch for traffic patterns -- once a few cars drove down it a certain way, it would change it to one way in that direction. If cars were driving in both directions, once it had a few drives in each direction, it would become two-way.

Of course, in less Waze-centric areas, some streets never found their way to one-way, let alone two-way on this point. Hence, why we're still editing them. :)
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by erablian
Thanks, Jay.

I had been picking away a little bit from time to time at some of the more obvious issues in Fort McMurray, but since I have not been there in many years, I was concerned about making things worse if I went gung ho at it.

Thanks for cleaning it up.
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]

Post by Jay91150
Thanks, that kind of makes sense.
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by redmaxx23
I'll be headed back up to Fort Mac some time later this year for a city based project.
I'll try to edit the map from personal driving.
redmaxx23
Send a message