Any Wazers following Targa?

Post by Jay91150
Any Waze users following around the 2014 Targa Newfoundland road rally?

If I'd been thinking straight, I would have submitted this as a Mega Traffic Event but considering the rally is starting today (prologue stages today, then five days of stages all up and down the Avalon and Burin peninsulas) it's probably too late.

I will do my best to keep the URs cleaned up over the island this week (not that there are many posted). I normally volunteer for Targa as a stage ops crewmember, but various commitments kept me from going this year. Hopefully I can help thru Waze. :D
Jay91150

POSTER_ID:16872708

Send a message

Post by hmarian
It will be impossible to add a Major Event so quick but we can utilize the road closure instruction in the following forum - viewtopic.php?f=358&t=103957 and this closures will be in effect tomorrow morning (Monday) if the event will still be underway.

Cheers,
HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by hmarian
Jay91150 wrote:The more I think about it, the less it would work properly in Waze. Closures are very transient - for example, certain roads in town 1 might be shut for 90 minutes starting at 1pm, and roads in town 2 down the road will be shut for 85 minutes starting at 1:22, and so on. Furthermore, if there's some kind of delay due to a crash or other disruption, that closure might be delayed (starting) or lengthened considerably, or if the situation is bad enough, canceled outright, with the rally skipping that stage altogether. Since the tiles wouldn't be updated but once a day, and the day after the closure's submitted, it isn't really of use. A better solution would be a Wazer like me who works the rally, submitting reports/alerts as the stage happens - so if I drive to town 2 to work its stages, I report hazards or something similar when I get on site, and hopefully Waze will route folks around the 'hazard' from there.
The closure sheet isn't updated daily. Once a closure is uploaded to the server and will kick in at the set time. If anything changed, it might be possible to push the update, depending in the availability of Waze staff to do that, but the question is where you get this information about delayed and changes and can they be trusted?

Reporting a closure from the client will require several users to report the same closure in order to be available to others, as a measure of moderation by Waze.

The way you described it, there may be no ideal way to apply this. In the future Waze may develop tools that allow some editors to control these kind of situations.

Cheers,
HM.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by Jay91150
The more I think about it, the less it would work properly in Waze. Closures are very transient - for example, certain roads in town 1 might be shut for 90 minutes starting at 1pm, and roads in town 2 down the road will be shut for 85 minutes starting at 1:22, and so on. Furthermore, if there's some kind of delay due to a crash or other disruption, that closure might be delayed (starting) or lengthened considerably, or if the situation is bad enough, canceled outright, with the rally skipping that stage altogether. Since the tiles wouldn't be updated but once a day, and the day after the closure's submitted, it isn't really of use. A better solution would be a Wazer like me who works the rally, submitting reports/alerts as the stage happens - so if I drive to town 2 to work its stages, I report hazards or something similar when I get on site, and hopefully Waze will route folks around the 'hazard' from there.
Jay91150
Send a message