Salt Lake City U-turns

Post by LowellSLC
I live (and edit the map occasionally) around the downtown Salt Lake City area. I've noticed that many, if not most, junctions in the area -- as defined in Waze -- prohibit U-turns, but in reality, I'm not aware of many such restrictions on U-turns in actual intersections.

Of course, if an actual intersection has a "no U-turn" sign posted, that turn should be prohibited in Waze. But what of the many other cases, where U-turns are marked as disallowed in Waze, but appear to be legal in actual driving scenarios?

I have looked at all the Waze editing guidance I can see, as well as local & state driving laws, and can find no explanation. Is this just a local map editing convention or norm I should be aware of? Or am I missing something else?
LowellSLC

POSTER_ID:17045370

Send a message

Post by bcran0
There don't seem to be many "no u-turn" signs, but I think the "<= ONLY" signs may be equivalent in disallowing them. I know that's the case in some states, but I'm not sure about Utah and would appreciate clarification.
bcran0
Send a message

Post by Daknife
The Law in Utah is that they are only prohibited where signs so indicate.

The problem with enabling is that the editor tools flag every u-tun enabled intersection causing incredible clutter on the map and often obscuring real problems. So we've so far just left them mostly non-enabled. It's not really worth the effort to go and turn them all on. And I say that as the editor who has touched nearly every intersection and road segment in Utah at least once.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint