Layton: Hill Field Rd ThrU-Turns

Post by
Area in question:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 421&zoom=5

The "ThrU-Turn" portion of this project (http://www.udot.utah.gov/LaytonImproved/hill.html) is complete and left turns are no longer allowed at the Main St and Gordon Ave intersections.

The first relevant Map Problem has been reported, and shows the path through one of the bulb-outs here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=4781049

Unfortunately where Main St is involved (Level 3 lock), a level 3+ editor will need to do this update or unlock the appropriate sections of Main St. Opening this thread because I believe this is one of (if not the) first ThrU-turn type intersection in Utah and I'm not sure if some standard of how it is to be entered is wanted for the state.

Would we edit these similar to the "Michigan left" intersections? (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Michigan#.28 ... .28MUTI.29)

POSTER_ID:12675839

Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
We have a few of those in Arizona, and it's a similar style. It's been named the "Arizona Parkway."

Based on the UDOT page, I've mapped the Hill Field Rd turns. They're probably not 100% accurate, but we will need to wait for updated imagery to get them exact.
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
"This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley

US Country Manager (In between deliveries)

Post by dmcrandall
Marnoot wrote:Thanks, dmcrandall! That takes care of the two on Hill Field itself; there are two more of these on Main Street. The UDOT map doesn't label Main for some reason, but you can see the two "bulb-outs" there on Main Street on that map.
I'm trying to get more detailed maps from the state regarding Main. It looks like they did some major changes, based on the video simulations. Also, the one on Hill Field, passed Gordon, will need some more work to get it accurate.

I'll drop the lock level on Main and you can see what you come up with.
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
jellicle0 wrote:I don't have a direct opinion on the matter. We might also compare how the ThrU-turns at 121st South are handled?

dmcrandall, the west ThrU-Turn (on HIllfield Road) is not far enough west. I was going to adjust it but the new segments have the level 3 lock on them. The bulb out lines up with the parking lot entrance similar to the south one on main. Can you move this or unlock?

Thanks!
Interesting. I drew it based on the GPS track of the UR. I'll unlock it.
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
jellicle0 wrote:Can you move this or unlock?
Unlocked.

While you're at it, you need to clean up the Red Roads you left in the area.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 5,88506031
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
It's been a month now. Any complaints or problems with the new layout?
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
Unlocked.

Have the turn restrictions at Gordon gone into effect? (No left turn, no thru traffic)
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jellicle0
I've taken a stab at the two ThrU-Turns on Main Street. The placement is fairly accurate. Some of the "allowed/disallowed turns" are questionable, especially on the south one because of the existing King Street intersection and parking lot. Please leave these unlocked for a while for further testing and adjusting as we drive the roads and figure out the nuances.
jellicle0
Send a message

Post by jellicle0
I don't have a direct opinion on the matter. We might also compare how the ThrU-turns at 121st South are handled?

dmcrandall, the west ThrU-Turn (on HIllfield Road) is not far enough west. I was going to adjust it but the new segments have the level 3 lock on them. The bulb out lines up with the parking lot entrance similar to the south one on main. Can you move this or unlock?

Thanks!
jellicle0
Send a message

Post by jellicle0
Good catch. It was late at night and I thought I fixed it but apparently didn't. Fixed now, and fixed some allowed turns.

The tiles updated overnight so we can see how the first round of changes works in reality.

Before I move the west segment I'm going to drive up there again today. I'm wondering if they moved the parking lot road as well, so I might need to move both the bulb out and the parking lot road to "meet in the middle"...

Thanks!
jellicle0
Send a message

Post by jellicle0
There are definite routing penalties. I reported a UR...
I was needing to get on the freeway heading North, I turned south on Main, and took the thru turn (as a replacement for the left turn I would have done in the past). Waze wanted me to continue another mile or two south (in the opposite direction of my intended travel) and get on the freeway there.

thewebdiggity (level 3) indicates the "ramps" should instead be Minor Highways to match the main road segment. This suggestion seems reasonable, especially given that what we have simply isn't working.

Could you please unlock again? At least to a level 3 so the webdiggity could fix it?

Thank you and happy holidays!
jellicle0
Send a message