Handling the new city of Millcreek

Post by herrchin
History: 4 CDPs recognized in the 2000 census as Canyon Rim, East Millcreek, Millcreek, and Mount Olympus were consolidated in the 2010 census as a single CDP, "Millcreek."
Millcreek residents typically identify with Salt Lake City, which is designated by the U.S. Postal Service as the “default” place name for mailing addresses in the area. However, “Millcreek” is now an accepted place name for addresses in the ZIP codes 84106, 84107, 84109, 84117, and 84124
In 2015, a vote to incorporate the combined Millcreek CDP into a city was passed. However, the new city of Millcreek doesn't really "start" until Jan 1, 2017, when the first elected officials take office.

Based on the 2010 CDP, local convention, and the upcoming city transition, the primary segment city name should be "Millcreek" for the 4 previous CDP areas. Waze currently has the year-2000 CDP names on most segments, and therefore large updates are needed. However, to maintain search results and navigation, we may need/want to have each road name duplicated as an alt name with city "Salt Lake City."

Once the strategy is finalized, I will explore some options for bulk-updates so we're not bogged down with doing it by hand, and also will get the previous city layer names removed, and Millcreek's city polygon updated if it doesn't do so automatically.

Everyone's thoughts?
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:17097078

Send a message

Post by herrchin
macnewbold wrote:When does the list of available values get updated to include new cities/CDPs
It's a manual process through a form. If you can dig up the new name, let me know.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
The old original Millcreek CDP area is likely mostly OK (at least for the segment primary city value), but the other 3 will need major conversion. Flip on the Cities layer. Side note, I just fixed a few segments set as "Sugarhouse" and submitted that incorrect city for deletion. Was creating a smudge.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
To provide closure to this thread: The CDP merge was requested of and completed by staff.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by macnewbold
I'm definitely strongly in favor of an automated batch process to fix these in bulk. Doing it manually will be time consuming, error prone, and very likely get rate limited.

I don't remember now which one it was, but I ran into a new city/CDP a few weeks ago, but I couldn't use it in the City field since USA doesn't allow city creation (a good thing). When does the list of available values get updated to include new cities/CDPs?

Mac
macnewbold
Send a message

Post by RichardPyne
herrchin wrote:The old original Millcreek CDP area is likely mostly OK (at least for the segment primary city value), but the other 3 will need major conversion. Flip on the Cities layer. Side note, I just fixed a few segments set as "Sugarhouse" and submitted that incorrect city for deletion. Was creating a smudge.
I keep the Cities layer on by default. With some more looking, I see what I was missing, the other 3 are outside of my EA. (wiping the egg off of face).
RichardPyne
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message