Salt Lake City International Airport Directions

Post by kylesford
The Directions are wrong to get to the SLC airport. It has repeatedly taken me around the back of the airport instead on the road for the terminal. I'm not sure the best course of action to fix that as it's an area feature.

Thanks!
kylesford

POSTER_ID:17086301

Send a message

Post by herrchin
Hi kylesford, this is a sporadic problem that we're trying to nail down the origin of, as we're not able to reliably reproduce it. If you can provide answers to these questions, it would really help:
  1. iOS or Android?
  2. Is this involving Uber, Lyft, or other third-party apps?
  3. Are you using the Planned Drives feature?
  4. Are you using a Favorites entry for the airport?
  5. Can you provide a screenshot of the entry in your Recent destinations list?
  6. If you select that Recent entry, does it still route you to the back of the airport? If so, can you go to the route Overview, pan and zoom so you can see the fine detail of the destination at the back of the airport, and post a screenshot of that?
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
One more: If you're using Planned Drives, do you have it connected to a Calendar? If so, what type? If Waze picked up the SLC airport destination from your calendar, what was exactly in the name and address fields on your calendar entry?
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
Thanks kylesford, that information helps. Would you check a few more things please?

When you're searching for the airport in Waze (you may want to pull out your phone and do a mock navigation for the later steps):
  1. How long has this problem been going? Weeks, months, years?
  2. Have you replaced your phone at any time since the problem started? (I'm not blaming your phone; I'm looking for bad cached results that replacing a phone would definitely clear)
  3. What exactly do you type in the search box?
  4. Do you select an entry from the results that are auto-populating as you type, or do you push the Search button first, then choose something from the full-search results (that has multiple tabs for Search Results / Places / Google)?
  5. If you're selecting an auto-suggested entry, are you choosing one that has the "clock" icon next to it? That icon means it's someplace you've previously navigated to, and it will use previously-stored GPS coordinates.
  6. If you're using a previously-cached result (clock icon): Go back to the initial navigation screen (where it shows all your recent searches), find the matching entry for the airport, and hit the 3-dot icon to the right and select Delete. Do a fresh search for the airport the same way you always do, and your auto-match icon should be the pin instead of the clock. Try it out, and let me know if that still sends you to the back of the airport.
If clearing a bad cached entry works for you, it still doesn't necessarily solve the mystery as to how you received the bad result in the first place. If you can always get a fresh result that is to the back of the airport, then it may be a specific way that you're searching (such as specific text) that we haven't landed on yet.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
kylesford, noticed two different entries in your recent navigations to the airport, one showing the city name, one not. Do they both give bad routes to the back of the airport, or just one? If just one, which one?
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by herrchin
Thanks for checking that! We're still not sure how you got the bad initial result, and you're not alone: we've had a few scattered reports all with the same matching symptoms. We just haven't nailed down the origin specifics, as it's apparently some kind of special edge case that rarely comes up. We've got our suspicion of one of the automated results from some kind of planned drive or calendar event, but for all we know that theory is completely wrong.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kylesford
herrchin wrote:Hi kylesford, this is a sporadic problem that we're trying to nail down the origin of, as we're not able to reliably reproduce it. If you can provide answers to these questions, it would really help:
  1. iOS or Android?
  2. Is this involving Uber, Lyft, or other third-party apps?
  3. Are you using the Planned Drives feature?
  4. Are you using a Favorites entry for the airport?
  5. Can you provide a screenshot of the entry in your Recent destinations list?
  6. If you select that Recent entry, does it still route you to the back of the airport? If so, can you go to the route Overview, pan and zoom so you can see the fine detail of the destination at the back of the airport, and post a screenshot of that?

Sure!

IOS,
No Favorite Used
Screencap https://imgur.com/a/2r53Q
It does always go to the back of the airport.
It don't think any of these trips were planned drives.
kylesford
Send a message

Post by kylesford
herrchin wrote:Thanks kylesford, that information helps. Would you check a few more things please?

When you're searching for the airport in Waze (you may want to pull out your phone and do a mock navigation for the later steps):
  1. How long has this problem been going? Weeks, months, years?
  2. Have you replaced your phone at any time since the problem started? (I'm not blaming your phone; I'm looking for bad cached results that replacing a phone would definitely clear)
  3. What exactly do you type in the search box?
  4. Do you select an entry from the results that are auto-populating as you type, or do you push the Search button first, then choose something from the full-search results (that has multiple tabs for Search Results / Places / Google)?
  5. If you're selecting an auto-suggested entry, are you choosing one that has the "clock" icon next to it? That icon means it's someplace you've previously navigated to, and it will use previously-stored GPS coordinates.
  6. If you're using a previously-cached result (clock icon): Go back to the initial navigation screen (where it shows all your recent searches), find the matching entry for the airport, and hit the 3-dot icon to the right and select Delete. Do a fresh search for the airport the same way you always do, and your auto-match icon should be the pin instead of the clock. Try it out, and let me know if that still sends you to the back of the airport.
If clearing a bad cached entry works for you, it still doesn't necessarily solve the mystery as to how you received the bad result in the first place. If you can always get a fresh result that is to the back of the airport, then it may be a specific way that you're searching (such as specific text) that we haven't landed on yet.
Sorry for the delay, I was out of the country. Not sure how long it's been going, I'm a recent transplant to SLC so it's been happening as long as I've lived here. A few months at least.

Same phone the whole time.

Searching "Salt Lake City" Then it brings up "Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)"

Clearing the bad Cache Worked!!!!
I just tested search results for SLC airport and Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) as well as the google entry and they all seem to take me to the terminal now.
kylesford
Send a message

xanderb
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message