China Community

Post by
Hi All!

As things are starting to move in China I guess it's time to introduce myself :)

My name is Irad, I am the Community Manager of China at Waze HQ.

I am currently working together with the users editot and ericlsim on cleaning up the map in China from wrong/duplicate/spam city names.

After doing some tests I found many search issues in China caused by inconsistent city names and many wrong names created by inexperienced editors.
Our mission now is to decide on a format for naming the cities and cleaning up the mess as much as we can.

There is much to do for China in Waze and it would be great to know any local editors who wish to help with our mission to improve our services there.

If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to ask me!

POSTER_ID:15274930

Send a message

Post by asterix06
Hi All
I had the pleasure to read you posts and I believe we could start to do something in a more constructive Way.

I created for Waze in several countries ( with the help of some of you present in this tread) local communities and later on left it in the hand of a well organized Local team.

What we could do , with the approval of Irad, Waze Comunity Manager for China is to start a well organized plan to grow Chineese Community.

It would be very interesting to get immediately in contact with Local editors, in order to establish since the beginning the basic of the Community.

What we have to understand, since the beginning, is that any of our actions will be focused on local rules ONLY.

Irad , Please let's know your Comments so we could start to let's grow Waze in China in the best way.

Many Things should be established very soon so earlier we'll start better it will be.

Silvio/ asterix06
asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4L_o ... _small.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turchia.
Forum Administrator

Post by bccming
I'm new, I'd like to help after I knew how to do.
bccming
Send a message

Post by Borden_y
I'd like to help to abort your mission, cause your "mission" won't improve your services "there", not at all. Why? because you and the users you work with, none of you are Chinese, you know nothing about "there", how can you decide anything for us?

Besides, the massive cities name alteration days before, was pretty rude, and thoughtless. there's rejections immediately here in this board, but I figure you didn't know cause you cannot read those Chinese threads. You may publish some naming guide for China, but you should not alter the map directly, that's countless hours of many local editors' work, shouldn't you have some respect for that? If you want to do this, why not you simply plot the whole China map? I really wish you can rollback those alterations.
Borden_y
Send a message

Post by Borden_y
enhket wrote:I am sure they werent trying to be irrespectful. Also, i dont think that it would be too hard to modify back what was changed. The important thing here is you guys need a lot of workforce and if we can work together in a plan, then we can achieve great goals for the good of the Chinese Community in Waze. Moreover, you could define the city names based in decisions with the chinese-speaking waze users and then we could help with it. Something like that.

In my opinion, i agree with you. If Waze was a Chinese company, and my country cities were translated to some chinese version of my language, i would be pissed.

Take it easy ;)
Finally someone can feel me, thank you! I understand you tried to smooth out the tension, I appreciate that, but I can't agree with what you said about modifying back what was changed, it's the matter of principle, why should we waste our own time on making up some others' fault?

Yes we're lack of workforce, but why? cause shit like this happens. Many early Chinese editors fade away on unfriendly, unconcerned editing environment, those ones left have to waste time on cleaning these mess. The editor who the OP work with, Editot, has kept tempering with my fully completed Shenzhen map constantly for years, I've wasted too much time on defending my work from this dude. And now, together with waze staff, he even become official! From my understanding, lack of workforce is not the problem, it's the result.

Surely I agree we should work together, but not like this. No one like his work being tampered, I always believe editors have some kind of authorship on every segment of road they created. Of course, it's just hidden rules, moderators may deny that, and do what they want on the map; or, if they acknowledge that, that will make volunteers happier, IMO, that's the first proper step toward organizing editors together.

About the new naming protocol, if they want a unified one in China, they may advertise it, persuade us, educate us, to reach an agreement of the most of editors, but to directly alter the map? it's definitely the last thing they should do, especially quietly, without any notification. What's the point of doing that without endorse of us since those alterations can be changed back? You are sure they weren't trying to be irrespectful, as you said, then the only conclusion I can draw is they are not capable of make right decisions, thus I assume the best thing they can do currently is to quit what they are trying to do, before things getting worse.
Borden_y
Send a message

Post by Borden_y
enhket wrote:Burden, accept our apologies if you didn't feel treated in a proper way. Let's move on, let that issue go, and work together. what do you say?
Ok, that's fine. I was not speaking only for myself, also for the common interests of all of us.

But IMHO, there's not too much left for us to work together on.

For the naming system, in fact, there's not too much to discuss on. Waze is not the only map in the world, we have national standard on this, and dozens of successful navi apps in China, just follow Google map or Apple map's protocol, they're doing great here. But have some foreigners to impose English or even Pinyin name? really?

As for users, editors, workforce in China, you can't get any grow, no matter what you do, you just can't. Waze had missed its growing window in China. In 2009 to 2011, we have no free navi apps on smartphone in China, nor effective realtime traffic map, waze had a shot then. But now? waze even hasn't got the ticket to the party. Even if waze deploy a perfect China map now, immediately, users still won't switch to waze from their familiar apps. I guess there has already had no Chinese new comers for a long time, am I right? I hope I'm wrong. Chance is like your first love, you missed it, you missed it forever.

So, what's really left to work on?
Borden_y
Send a message
Last edited by Borden_y on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Borden_y
Hello Shmupi,

the reason I delete those segments is, I'd like to disconnect Hongkong from mainland of China.

At the very beginning I joined Waze, in 2011, I was once warmhearted about helping Hongkong, I plotted every segment connecting Hongkong to mainland after I mostly finished the Shenzhen map, it felt great to have cities connected with my own hands. But happy times ended soon, there came the dude Editot(which is this OP currently working with), who lives in Hongkong, and don't speak Chinese. He massively changed roads name of the Shenzhen, even the whole Guangdong province, to English, with no pity, no consulting to anyone, like in his own backyard. And what really made me fury is, he did this again and again, after I correct them back again and again, for years. As for those juncture roads connecting Shenzhen & Hongkong, after he got rank 4, he locked them all.

These deed make me sick of Hongkong wazers, so after I got rank 4 recently, I unlocked all segments in Hongkong locked by him, and then deleted all those gate segments in Shenzhen connecting HK, that says: stay in your Hongkong, you're not welcome to come across. Yes I know, it's too emotional, but so what? I don't even feel sorry for that.

And most importantly, why did I deleting them without consulting with others in our forum? because those roads were all created by myself! the whole Shenzhen map were created by me, alone, from scratch, so who should I consult with?
Borden_y
Send a message

Post by Borden_y
shmupi wrote:Thanks for the info.
No problem, u r welcome.
We do not delete roads and damage the map just that we don't feel like it !
From our point of view, change all cities name of China to English in one night without discuss nor notice is damage too. And we don't like it either!
If Editot is a higher level than you it means that he invested more time than you in editing and you should respect that. FYI he is level 5 now and he could have lock all 5.
If your rules is good enough, then yes, I surely will respect higher rank editors. But since investing time damaging map can also earn points and ranks as well as creating, I won't respect that, not at all.
You should have wrote a post in the forum and try to contact one of the GC's or even the support team of Waze itself.
I've done that.
What you have done is that you have damaged the map !!!

I'm sure that both your and Editot intentions are good and you want to improve the Waze map. To take part in a discussion like this is the right way to do it...and not by deleting segments and deciding on your own what is right and what is wrong by your own point vision
When I created the map, I asked no one, I just did, and no one give a F. But now you're telling me I must ask for some other's permission to delete them?

I know what I am, but be frankly, I'm really not sure of others.

Talk about the right way to do things, I just wonder what happened to our city names?
See it as a warning and please make sure that it is not going to happen again.

And of course that from now on you should work with Editot and with the other AM's that are editing in that area. Make those discussions public ones please.
No, I don't work with one who doesn't know to respect other's effort, nor can even speak Chinese to editing Chinese map, sorry.
Please fix the map first and connect the roads. it's much more important to have the map connected even without names so navigation will be possible.
How about you roll back the city name "clean up", and I recover my "damage"?
BTW what you have done now it's the same that Belgium will be disconnected because one part speaks Flemish and the other one speaks French...and some editor decided that the roads should be in French...and if not he'll disconnect them..even that he is a lower ranked editor and just because managed to get a higher rank and the previous editor forgot to lock them a higher level....please ...we are not at kindergarten.
From your tone I feel you think those Belgium editors were childish, kinda stupid. I don't like that. The story you tell simply shows Waze haven't developed sophisticated rules to prevent shit like this happen, that's why it happens again here in China.

Of course you may see all these are editors' fault, we are too stupid to work together happily ever after, but this attitude won't help, after all Waze is volunteers driven, and humanity is about the same all over the world, you can't change that, when volunteers feel unhappy, hurt, they just leave. They're not meant to come to get hurt, and these people are only ones Waze can rely on, so what's the point to mock them?
Borden_y
Send a message

Post by Borden_y
shmupi wrote:Wrong naming is not damage in my eyes , anyways it's not my decision what to roll back and why and when.

It's Waze decision , maybe Irad can elaborate

I repeat again , do not delete main segments in the future...no reason will be accepted.

I just gave you an example...the story in Belgium never happened , I've just invented it..and yes it's childish , please do not act like that in the future

Thanks,
Shmupi
Ok, I've understood your stand, so naming is none of your business, you only care about deleting segments, right? That's fine. I agree with you that deleting roads has no justification, but why do I need one? The reason I've explained in my last reply above, now it's your turn to elaborate.
Borden_y
Send a message

Post by Borden_y
shmupi wrote:Those are 2 different subjects.

I have asked you about the deleted segments... Please avoid doing it in the future !

Thanks,
Shmupi

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
yea yea, I heard you, instead of keep warning me, why can't you answer my question? Why do I need other's permission to damage things I created? Do I need youtube's permission to delete videos I uploaded? Do I need instagram's permission to delete photos I took?

You asked me to explain why I delete those roads, and I explained, but don't take this wrong, I was just trying to be kind, I don't think I have any obligation to do that. So let's be clear, I don't take warning from you, you do what you like, I do mine, that's it.
Borden_y
Send a message

Post by Borden_y
Why did my post get deleted? Did I make anyone uncomfortable?
Borden_y
Send a message