Post by shmupi
I would like to have the Chinese / English version

I hear people all the time in Israel...they would love to have English on the map or at least the option to choose ...English or Hebrew
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
What's wrong with Chinese / English name?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
ktheyes wrote:
shmupi wrote:What's wrong with Chinese / English name?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
For cities' name, I think it is okay
But for roads' name, there are no official English names for Chinese roads.
Different people have different translations. It would be meaningless for any single user by editors' subjective edit.
In country there are 2 names in different languages....so what ? if it will be easier to navigate ...why not ?
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
Not sure that the meaning in English does count as long as something in English is shown on the map...in this case any option of the last 3 options that you gave are fine with me.

Shmupi
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by shmupi
ktheyes wrote:
shmupi wrote:Not sure that the meaning in English does count as long as something in English is shown on the map...in this case any option of the last 3 options that you gave are fine with me.

Shmupi
Yep, normally the road names are translated by homophonic, and last three options are common use. But this translation is done by people, it is not certain that everyone translates road name in the same method as you. And even in last three options, it still get problem to search. If you type in "Sanma Road" for searching, the edited name "San Ma Lu" might not be shown to you.

I am not sure whether you ever lived in China or not. Actually, China is not international enough, too many roads and landmarks in China do not have official English name. And I have looked Waze Japan, and Waze Israel, they all use only Japanese and Hebrew in edit.

Never live in China , just visited and I was OK with half English / Half Chinese names

In Israel we don't have English names but I hear all the times people that are asking for that option.

Of course that the best way should be to have the option to choose between latin names or local names

Shmupi
shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tmd63
shmupi wrote:
ktheyes wrote:What's wrong with Chinese / English name?

In country there are 2 names in different languages....so what ? if it will be easier to navigate ...why not ?
not really, For example, in Jiujiang, there is a road named "三马路", which could be translate into English by its meaning as "Third Road" or "Three Horse Road", or translate by homophonic to "Sanma Road", or "Sanmalu Road", Or even "San Ma Lu". If you know one or two of the translations, but the editor edit the road name in the third translation which you never see before, how can you make sure it's working for you?

And this is not the fault of editor. Because there is no any official name or even official translating guideline for road names in China.
The San Ma Lu is a pinyin translation of the original Chinese.
In Chengdu, a lot of the roads are named by their Pinyin names. I have been using the 'Alternate' names to list a google English name, pinyin and simplified Chinese.
So for the example above. The main name would be 3rd Road then the alternates would have San Ma Lu and "三马路" listed.
I am assuming here that people using search inside Waze can search the Alternate names also!
tmd63
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Waze Map Editor, Sichuan China Area, Malta and North Korea Manager.
https://www.waze.com/user/editor/tmd63
images/ranks/CountryManager_Badge.png

Post by tmd63
Editot wrote:In Hong Kong, "English Chinese" appears to be working. "Chinese English" should work in China. Is anyone experiencing issues?
I believe some clarification is required here.
The road names on most road signs I have seen (Urban and Rural) do not have English Chinese, but Pinyin. It is a romanised version of Chinese and is also used to enter characters on a phone, tablet or computer.
Therefore "三马路" is pinyinised as San Ma Lu. Use the Chinese input method on a microsoft keyboard and you will get these characters.
I suggest using "三马路/San Ma Lu" for road names, cities and prefectures as these are readily used by all local persons. An English translation to 3rd Road may be an option under the alternate names for clarity.
tmd63
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by tmd63
This is also being discussed here viewtopic.php?f=368&t=138033
tmd63
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by tmd63
I think the simplified Chinese and pinyin for all roads is a good way to go. I have seen this on the green street name plates all through Chengdu and on local map display boards in the tourist areas too.
Normally with the Chinese above the Pinyin. Nice road name plates though. It must take some time to impress them for all the characters used. White lettering on Green background.
tmd63
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Xuefer
Why isn't anyone talking about the "alternative name"
Xuefer
Localizers
Localizers
Send a message