What's the naming system in China right now?

Post by ktheyes
When I editing maps, I found there is no a certain guideline to name cities and town is China.
The system which Waze is using right now, is "City" and "City County" ("XX市"和"XX市 XX县"). In this system, we lost thousands of towns, and even villages. For people using Waze map, they will struggle to find towns in destination.
I wondering, can I use "XX市"和"XX县 XX镇","XX县 XX乡"( "City" and "County Town") to mark those settlements?
ktheyes
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:4732117

Send a message

Post by ericlsim
I was thinking this way too, but how about district? somemore town and village boundaries are very blur, there is no official guide to crop the certain area for certain towns and villages in China.

I expect waze could have city and district field when editing map.
ericlsim
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ericlsim
ktheyes wrote:
ericlsim wrote:I was thinking this way too, but how about district? somemore town and village boundaries are very blur, there is no official guide to crop the certain area for certain towns and villages in China.

In that situation, you are right. I think we can edit name in town center, in rural area, for no city.
Brilliant!!

I am consider to set one or two roads' city name as village at the center of the certain village, and observe does the village name shown in live map.
ericlsim
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by javiercr75
ktheyes wrote:
ericlsim wrote:I was thinking this way too, but how about district? somemore town and village boundaries are very blur, there is no official guide to crop the certain area for certain towns and villages in China.

In that situation, you are right. I think we can edit name in town center, in rural area, for no city.
Thanks Ktheyes, good idea.
javiercr75
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by ktheyes

ktheyes
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Le_Mig603
Hi all, I'm a mapraider starting in on China tomorrow night and would like to resolve this issue at least for the purpose of having *something* in place other than marking every segment as "No City" as suggested by some senior mapraiders. This is what I propose and then I'll explain why and what it would provide China's Waze maps:

There are 4 naming layers in China: Province, Prefecture City, Counties (including County-level Cities), and Villages/Towns/City Districts.

I propose that we employ a double naming Primary City system that mixes these layers in ways that both most accurately identifies a road segment's location and will create multiple City layers according to it's placement among the whole. This is already the case in some portions of the map, but it is not very well defined nor consistent so there is a lot of city layer smudging that I'd like to resolve with this plan.

In rural areas where there is no town name (mainly for Hwy segments between cities) use: Prefecture, Province - Jinhua, Zhejiang
For villages or county-level cities within a Prefecture use: City, Prefecture - Yiwu, Jinhua; Lin'an, Hangzhou (... I'm not sure if Shi should be used to distinguish between county-level cities from villages. Probably not.)
For County-level cities with Major Districts - use District, City/Prefecture: Xiacheng, Hangzhou; Brooklyn, NYC

County names do not seem to be used much in address identification, please let me know if I'm wrong about that. If not, that's the same as in the US. I believe Eshan within Tonglu County would be best referred to as City, Prefecture as mentioned above: Eshan, Hangzhou.

This way, You'll have cohesive general City Layer areas for each Prefecture within a Province with only the largest municipalities creating their own islands of city layers but individual villages within each Prefecture getting their own city layer as well... without resorting to 3 or 4-name long addresses for every road segment! Only 2 for all as the standard. And whether or not you see a final Province name tells you whether or not you're Rural, within an minor Prefecture city without Districts, in a County-level city or a village. Essentially this way, between cities you'll see whether you're still in the same Province or not and be able to tell between districts within a Prefecture whether you've changed Prefectures or not.

The one thing that crosses my mind are villages/cities that might traverse Prefecture lines, but in every case I've analysed, the part of the city bleeding into an adjacent Prefecture has a different City/District name. Ending with a Province name should either be reserved for Prefecture municipalities without Districts, say if Hangzhou City had a central District named Hangzhou, then it would be named Hangzhou, Zhejiang.. but I also don't see any examples of this..

For instance, if border municipalities and villages crossed Provinces.. end with the Province instead so that way each city part maintains its own island distinction among its neighboring city layers. Small villages that clearly lie across prefecture borders, could also end with Province name if the Prefecture border splits it right down the middle, but could also be labelled as whichever Prefecture name has is in majority. I'd assume the former is preferred. Any city/village that crosses Province borders seems could be split between city, Province1; city, Province2, etc. but again, I have not run across such an issue. An example in the US is Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS. You don't want to blur the lines between Provinces, perhaps also not between Prefectures, but it seems that different sides of the same city in China tend to have their own names. Very territorial... ;0) Such matters of splitting cities among multiple Provinces or Prefectures should go up to a Country Manager for verification and authorization.

All this, I submit to you as a basic approach for our imminent map raid perhaps exclusively. Or would it be better to only use the Prefecture name (at least) and allow locals to modify as needed (requiring unlocks in the future for virtually *all* Map Raid-created/updated segments?) That doesn't sound like a good idea to me anyway...

I see another forum thread begging Waze to grant China a Province field, much like the US's State field.. and that may be coming down the pipe soon, but even then, if you already have a 2-name city system.. that can easily be altered from Prefecture, Province to County/City/District, Prefecture or simply drop the Province and have Prefecture alone for rural areas.. but then you'd already have in place City, Prefecture and District, Prefecture for 70% of your segments without having to change anything else other than add the Province field. It would become a much less daunting upgrade as all the city layers would already exist in their proper places- only tweaked a bit shift over the Province to its own field.

Thoughts? Feedback, Criticisms, Suggestions? - What should we do? "No City" everything? At least enter the Provinces so there's that layer existing on everything? Do as I propose and implement 2-name to get a solid Waze city layer properly established?

Thanks for your quick responses, We begin work with or without your guidance throughout all of China in less than 21 hours. ;)
Le_Mig603
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c2s.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/RobotAv.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/3/35/WazeKnight.pnghttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8
SILVER medal at MR-Philly! - Currently a mentee making basic edits to SW & Central NH (primarily), SE VT, parts of MA, Portland ME, and NE Philly

Post by Le_Mig603
I'm not sure if the map raid organizer was following this thread, but he came down with a verdict for the purposes of our mapraid. Pretty simple:
Leocylau wrote:For street name, only put Chinese in Street Name for those who can read and write Chinese. Put English in Alt Name.

For city name, it is a bit difficult to decide. As you know we do not have 'State' field for China, I am thinking just simply to put 'District Level' format. In case of duplication in district level, then we will put 'District Level, Prefecture Level City' format. Bear in mind that we previously agreed that use 'Chinese/English' format for city name, e.g. 廣東省佛山市顺德区 Shunde, Foshan, Guangdong. We will put '顺德区 Shunde' in City field. The Province name and Prefecture level city names are omitted. OK, I summarize here:

For normal situation,
District Level, e.g. 顺德区 Shunde

For duplication situation,
District Level, Prefecture Level City, e.g 佛山市顺德区 Shunde, Foshan

I hope it helps. Once I have time, I will respond the forum post.

Cheers,

Leo
Concerning what a "duplication" means.. I was given a perfect example from the start. I was assigned to Lishui, China with PL - but the first selection for that is Lishui City in Nanjing Prefecture in Jiangsu Province... not to be confused with my assignment for cities in Lishui Prefecture in Zhejiang Province - so I believe my work will all be considered possible duplications to distinguish between the Lishui City and the Cities in Lishui Prefecture.

When working a city, it might be good to at least do a search for your prefecture and then your city in Waze search to see if a duplication already exists elsewhere. If not, simply use the City name: Chinese version first, then in English as exampled above. Street names in Chinese unless extending a segment already in English, English should be reserved for alt names for the street fields.. that is if you can find a legal map that you can read/copy/paste that information at all, I'm still working on that. If you cannot read/write in Chinese, just click "No name" for the street and keep creating roads without that information. Having as many well-connected major roads as possible even with no information is better than no roads at all.

good luck everyone
Le_Mig603
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c2s.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/RobotAv.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/3/35/WazeKnight.pnghttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8
SILVER medal at MR-Philly! - Currently a mentee making basic edits to SW & Central NH (primarily), SE VT, parts of MA, Portland ME, and NE Philly

Post by Le_Mig603
We're just having this discussion about Baidu maps in the map raid as well.. and we must just be sure not to copy information from it, just like Google Maps and Open Street Maps. Information must be derived from official documents and not 3rd party sources with copyrights that could be infringed. We wouldn't want to have another copyright infringement and be forced to delete all Chinese roads in Waze because someone violated copyright infringements.
Le_Mig603
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by leocylau
Btw, 市 and 区 should be omitted.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by leocylau
Sorry I didn't bring my laptop with me on holiday but u can post your request n permalink here the city name in doubt. I'll try to get back to you as sooooon as I can.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator