iOS beta 3.5.99.8 feedback thread

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, hilaroth

Re: iOS beta 3.5.99.8 feedback thread

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

BUG (reported in iOS release thread) which also happens in the beta:

If the app currently is showing "Searching network..." then the Share function under the main menu causes the "Please wait..." message with the spinning icon to appear and never goes away. If this function is looking for network resources, it needs to be able to timeout and not keep the box on the screen forever.

(This appears to be another example of the app assuming that something will always happen and not having robust error handling available for every function in the app.)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.1 | Waze v3.7.9.925
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:41 pm

My Waze app icon on the Springboard and the My Waze icon both have a (1) on them, but the Inbox line shows nothing and there is no message in the Inbox at all.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm

I did a search for the "safeway" grocery store yesterday to add as a stop point. Waze jumped straight to my contacts to show my a single result: "Keith Stokes" I found multiple hits for "safeway" under bing, foursquare, etc., so why did Waze jump directly to contacts?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 am

Waze continues to do a poor job in areas with low reception. If the duration of network loss exceeds a certain number of minutes the app never recovers the network connection. You have to close the app and restart. This causes loss of all data collected during the network outage. This also has the effect of causing Waze to have zero usable data about the segments in the no-network coverage area because Waze doesn't save the data to upload later.

I took my usual 2hr, 184-mile round-trip to the coast. Waze only shows a total of 75 miles in my Drives. This is really sad.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Dave2084 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze continues to do a poor job in areas with low reception. If the duration of network loss exceeds a certain number of minutes the app never recovers the network connection. You have to close the app and restart.

Have you tried toggling airplane mode on/off briefly, that usually works for me?

Yes. What I find interesting is that the app will sometimes then remove the "Searching network..." notice, but if I try to post a report, it still pops up with "no network connection." Other times, it still shows searching. Either way, after about 20-30 minutes, Waze will never reconnect in my experience. This is going on 2 years of this bad behavior.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:31 pm

The current method for determining what streetnames are shown on-screen needs some tweaking, IMO. There are now too few street names, the one or two which do appear are either such minor streets that 90% of traffic doesn't drive on them, or they are duplicated with the purple street names for the current route.

For example, permalink location, I would remove the "SW Friendly" street name. It's a dead-end very minor road. There is no purpose to it's name being shown. However, the primary streets should definitely be considered for display, especially if they are connected to the current route. Major roads are much better "landmarkers" or "guide roads" than a dead-end street.

Here's my mock up showing names which should be displayed instead:
fix_displayed_streetnames.jpg
Mock up of how/which streetnames to show
fix_displayed_streetnames.jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 966 times

And here is another example of duplicated streetnames making a mess on the map. If it's already showing in purple, don't show it in black/regular name display:
remove_duplicate_names.jpg
remove_duplicate_names.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 966 times
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby camrun91 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:50 pm

This version seems pretty solid to me I am not seeing many bugs.
camrun91

Postby Dave2084 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze continues to do a poor job in areas with low reception. If the duration of network loss exceeds a certain number of minutes the app never recovers the network connection. You have to close the app and restart.

Have you tried toggling airplane mode on/off briefly, that usually works for me?
iPhone 4S 32GB (Jailed) • iOS 7.1.0 • Waze 3.7.9.922 Beta
Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester • iPhone Expert
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Dave2084 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:58 pm

If the data connection reliability issue wasn't bad enough, could we at least have the "searching for network" banner at the top of the screen be more accurate. Often when I try to send a report, I have a data connection, the "searching for network" banner is NOT present but when I hit the report button I get told I can't as there's no network connection. If Waze knows this is the case (and it must to tell me) please can show it at the top of the screen.

Can we suppress hazard pop ups that are not on our route? I got one this morning whilst navigating a junction which I could not see due to the pop up.

Here is the offending report. And a hidden roundabout!
iPhone 4S 32GB (Jailed) • iOS 7.1.0 • Waze 3.7.9.922 Beta
Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester • iPhone Expert
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Got a weird issue on the previous beta, but the thread is now locked, and it will take me some time to try to reproduce.

- had three messages on my inbox, the welcome, a message from a friend, and a UR fixed one.
- (my messages before the beta were never recovered btw)
- got a bunch of new UR fixed messages on my client inbox.
- deleted them not all at the same time, but in groups of 4 or 5 (more or less the ones visible on screen)
- got the feeling that some messages weren't really deleted, but there were so many I wasn't sure
- some of these were read, some were unread
- deleted the remaining ones until only the three first ones were visible, except that:

- instead of those three, I had those three shown twice - in order msg 3, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1
- the unread counter in the lower corner was MINUS 4 "-4"

- restarting the client (with a proper "menu->turn off") shown zero messages, and obviously zero unread

- updating to this new beta version may have reset something internally, as now I now have those three messages again correctly.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to App Beta Testing