iOS Beta 3.4.99.11 Feedback thread

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, hilaroth

Re: iOS Beta 3.4.99.11 Feedback thread

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Initial feedback on install/startup: this version, like every version before, will fail miserably at navigation instructions if the language download is interrupted at all. Just transitioning from wifi to 3G is enough to require a complete reinstall of the app. Today, I drove to work hearing a mishmash of proper TTS, proper turn instructions, and turn instructions with no distance being voiced. It would happen that 1 mile from the next turn, Waze would just say, "Turn left" because the language prompt for the words "In one mile" are missing. You really, really need to ensure that the language prompts are downloaded properly and fully and if there is a failure, then it must be retried. If this was my first time using Waze, it would be my last because it performed terribly.

Add a stop feature: when I was within a 1/4 mi of my Stop point in the route, the main menu reverted back to "Add a stop" instead of "Cancel stop" even though the route overview still showed I had some distance to go, and several turns before reaching my stop point. Is this on purpose? To allow making a new stop point before actually arriving?

For all "Waze" reports of traffic slowdowns, remove the Comment and Thanks buttons. They serve no purpose.

The route overview screen which comes up when tapping on the ETA display has no information in it except the destination and ETA/distance. It is a HUGE window with almost nothing inside it. Is the plan to have other things here? If not, make it smaller.

Parking spot locator: Waze sets this to the spot on the nearest segment, which is useless. You must set this to the actual GPS location of the parking spot. (Unless the plan is that you now want us to map every single parking lot aisle. You need to give us the guidance on this.) As it is now, if I park in the middle of a lot and the nearest mapped parking lot road (under current mapping guidelines) is 500ft away, the Parking location pin isn't useful at all.

Download of route: 10 minutes into my route and Waze still hadn't downloaded the turns for my 35 minute commute trip. The navigation list only showed the next turn 2.7 miles away. The rest of the list had the turns and distance but no street names. Cache the entire damn route right away regardless of distance. Our phones and data plans can handle the data transfer!
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Please remove the Camera button. At the very least, program it in as a Map Issue report type. It is abused and rarely used to report an actual camera of any proper type.

My personal thought is that it would be useful to remove the Paving function. It is extremely buggy, at least on the app side, often not drawing the road but the wazer and map jump around, paved roads often don't make it to the map editor at all.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:47 pm

mapcat wrote:The route options indicate that all three routes have tolls:

Do you have avoid tolls turned on?
mapcat wrote:Nothing on the first road with a toll (or any) shows that it has a toll:

I'm not understanding what you're pointing out here. Should the word "TOLL" be somewhere on the screen?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:22 pm

mapcat wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Do you have avoid tolls turned on?

No, but I didn't want to avoid them. I thought they would be pointed out. It's one thing to see that there's a toll road on the route and another to see that almost the entire route includes toll roads. It's not important to give us the option of x% toll roads, but there should be some visual that indicates which segments of the route are tolled.

That was not the plan for the initial release of toll road avoidance (outside Israel). They do have the info and requests from the Champs and various others on how to make this feature more useful, but for now, it's all or nothing. Avoid tolls will never select a toll in the primary route selection, but routes with tolls are allowed to be part of the route for alt routes 2 and 3.

Your "% toll roads" isn't simple either: do you mean % of segments or % of distance or % of distinct toll roads which could incur additional charges?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:28 pm

jjwertz wrote:Could someone please help I can't download the update and I think I'm registered. If I get the email I do t see why it shouldn't download. PLEASE HELP!!!!

No one at Waze can help you at this time. It's nighttime. Just be patient and a community member may be able to help.

Did you install Test Flight or are you trying to install directly from an email link?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:17 am

mapcat wrote:Was something changed for the candies/road goodies? Either I ran straight over an editing candy without collecting it, or it appeared behind me as I travelled straight ahead after stopping. This hasn't happened to me in over a year, so it looks as if the placement process or the radius around the candy has changed.

I've noted candies appearing behind me too. As well, it does seem the radius is different because the candy as I leave home every day is placed in the same spot, but with this beta, I have to go all the way through the junction for it to be eaten. Current released version it gets munched just as I approach the junction.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:09 pm

jjwertz wrote:I'm still hving issues with installing this beta version is there any other way to install it besides the links that we got sent in the email??

I install it using Test Flight. I've never had a problem.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

chrysrobyn wrote:Does the "[P] You parked here >" icon need parking lot roads to snap to in order to be useful? (Dave2084 had a screenshot.) I saw discussion of being able to fix the snapping (perlin), but it seems to me that having the individual isles mapped out would make this feature more useful. If the isles aren't mapped out, and if the snapping is fixed, the icon will hover in meaningless space. That's no way to meet up with friends at the mall or movie theater (I assume that's the intent?).

Perlin responded about this earlier stating that it will not require a segment to snap to.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm

robin1979 wrote:Try to navigate to 'cc@tts' (all lowercase!). Helps me to get it back when it drops out (usually after a crash).

I did this today and it actually made it worse. After restarting and reloading my route, I then received no TTS instructions at all and even then the recorded instructions were not all working because I still get a "turn left" when 1/2 mile away: it doesn't give the distance, just "turn left."
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 pm

I don't recall if this was like this in the current release, but I've noted that the minimum zoom level (high elevation) when in "autozoom by distance" mode always shows all street types, which is very nice. This is not the case for "autozoom by speed" and as others have said, it would be best if autozoom by speed was set to the same so that regardless of speed, all segments should show at their smallest setting.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to App Beta Testing