iOS Beta 3.4.99.14 Feedback thread

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, hilaroth

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:05 pm

jjwertz wrote:Where do i send my new udid to get updated?

I think perhaps beta@waze.com should work.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Dave2084 wrote:The night colour scheme is hideous! Too much colour, it will dazzle the driver. The background should be black as it on on my custom schema.

and my night scheme which was also posted to the forum schemes thread is based on map editors but dark and muted. Sounds like either of ours would be a better starting point.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: iOS Beta 3.4.99.14 Feedback thread

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:02 pm

mapcat wrote:
perlin wrote:Toll roads indication: you asked if this can be in a different color, like red, to make it stand out. Well, this is going to stay as it is, as we want that to be more of a note than a warning.

OK. Highlighting toll roads in the client will be enough. You're still going to do that, right?

It doesn't sound like it to me. Were you asking for the work "TOLL" to be in different color other than gray or asking for segments marked as toll to be indicated on the map?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:22 pm

New night theme is way too bright. Why all the blue? Night theme should be very dark background for additional contrast.

Here's the original code for mine which still needs some tweaks to landmarks and text, but I feel is a much better "dark" or "night" option.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 pm

tibble wrote:
maantje76 wrote:If you go to 'my waze' in the menu, you see it in silver on the top of the screen...in the menu itself it's a static icon...

When I was the waze monster in this beta it showed the monster for the my waze menu icon. I assumed it would always change to your current mood.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the main menu wazer icon should match the currently selected mood. Although, I've only verified that I can see the happy wazer and purple monster.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm going to re-voice my opinion that the night color scheme, while it is a bit more readable, is still way too bright. It should be mostly black, IMO.

• Upon installation, despite having network connection, and this could have been a back-end issue not client, but I got this repeatedly when trying to update gas prices:

• This beta, like the one before it, does not recalculate routes in well-traveled and map-cached areas when offline. This is a different experience from the initial v3 beta, which did a very good job with offline route recalculation. Screenshot here is showing me well off the route. And later, despite getting data connection to Waze back, it never recalculated the route until I requested it. Logs were uploaded for this Sept 25 @ 1am GMT.

• I understand you're looking for new words to use as "Chit Chat" wasn't clear, but Chit Chat is the same wording used in the main menu. I am not sure that "Map Chat" is a better option. How about "Public Chat" or "Public Msg"?

• Proper rendering of islands was supposed to be fixed over a year ago. Why hasn't that happened? There are so many places where the app shows drivers driving on water and it makes Waze look very amatuer to not even be able to properly show land.

Columbia River Hayden Island and as rendered in the app:

• Landscape mode map issue reporting doesn't adjust the text entry box up above the keyboard. Every other report type shifts the layout so the entire text box shows except this one. This is lack of UI consistency and can make text entry more difficult.

• Main menu My Waze mood icon matches for all moods except Gold, Silver, Bronze.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:38 am

I'd like to see the off-route detection and re-route process happen faster. In a residential neighborhood going 20mph, I can drive nearly a full block before Waze starts to reroute. Perhaps there can be a better detection of leaving the route perpendicularly? I know that when the route we drive diverges from the nav route it can be more difficult as you must account for GPS inaccuracy, but if I turn where Waze was guiding me straight, or if I go straight where Waze was guiding me through a turn, I'd think it could detect and reroute more quickly.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Dave2084 wrote:3. The Event Radius is still not being obeyed (set to 25 miles)

Just to make sure: in nav mode, the events are within the event radius of your route. You weren't navigating during this screen shot were you? I ask because I find the event radius to be obeyed just fine.

Dave2084 wrote:8. The traffic report pop-up is a big box, yet it only has room for 34 characters ... can we allocate a bit more space in the road report box for the actual road report?

The space taken up by graphical elements and especially buttons is annoying. I understand why they changed the "thumbs up" icon but the "Comment" and "Thanks" buttons, I feel, should be smaller icons in the two bottom corners of the alert to give more room for text.

Is the gold wazer main menu the indicator for lacking server connection? I hadn't seen that before.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 pm

robin1979 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Is the gold wazer main menu the indicator for lacking server connection? I hadn't seen that before.

See #10 - follow me.

Ah. Meaning was too hidden for me. :) I've not used the feature.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm

I have some more info regarding island rendering in the app.

I have previously complained about islands not showing in the app. I discovered that their appearance is zoom-level specific. When you are at a very low or high zoom level, the river shows, but for two intermediate zoom levels, the island landmark takes precedence over the river. It also is clear that an "island" landmark needs to match the land background color.

This is in the US, so the lakes are rivers are on a layer of the map we do not have access to in the editor.

The video will be easier to see if you open it in the youtube site or go full-screen, 720p.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to App Beta Testing