Android beta 3.4.99.109 Feedback thread

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, hilaroth

Re: Android beta 3.4.99.109 Feedback thread

Postby Sinistar83 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:08 pm

installed over previous beta, no errors.

Reports menu: It seems like there are barely any reports when I open Waze. Normally I see 10+ or so but now I only see one.

Navigate > Categories > Gas Station
crashes the app after "searching"

After restarting , does not keep the 'test' map color scheme, tried to switch back, now it just shows the default one.

Settings > Gas Stations is set to All stations, regular, price.

Started to test the other navigate > categories down the list... Only tried up to Pharmacy.. I'm guessing every category crashes Waze??
Anyone else having this crash too?
Please get this fixed, this is one of my favorite features of Waze! :)
Sinistar83

Postby sjh1008 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 am

Have rolled this back to 3.4.99.106 which worked well for me.

This version crashes pretty much every time I try to bring up the menu either from screen or button press.

Acer Liquid MT is the phone. (Rooted 2.3.6)
sjh1008

Postby skbun » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:38 pm

1. 'First leg distance bug' still exists. See http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=243131#p243131 for full details.
2. Only the first ten added favorites are shown on the front 'navigate' screen. If you want to see more than 10, you have to actually click the 'favorites' button. This is not completely intuitive. As a new user, I mistook this to mean that I could only have 10 favorites. (Perhaps it makes more sense for the front 'navigate' screen to instead be the 'history', or something?) Alternatively, maybe the 11th item on the 'front page list' should always say "More Favorites", so one knows to look for that.
3. Test appearance looks great to me. Seems a reasonable default.
4. TTS that was completely broken in .106 appears to be fixed in this version for me.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Suggestion for comments on reports

Postby skbun » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Since it is not always possible for the first person who reports something to provide details about it, here's a suggestion on how to make any given report more useful to drivers.

How about: the boldface 'details' field of a report shown when it pops up is always 'the most recent chit-chat/comment ON that report'?

Here's an example.
There's a major accident. The person who reports it doesn't have time to provide details, so he just reports it and drives on.
A second driver comes to the scene. He sees two vehicles involved. So his comment might well be '2 vehicles in right lane'.
A third driver comes to the scene. Now when the event pops up as coming up, he sees:

Major accident (5 minutes ago)
2 vehicles in right lane

Though he realizes now that the accident has been cleared to the shoulder. So HE comments, '2 vehicles cleared to shoulder'. Now for the fourth driver, he sees:

Major accident (7 minutes ago)
2 vehicles cleared to shoulder

Here's my point in all of this. The way Waze is now, when something pops up, you get two choices for the event. [Not there] and [Thanks], so any comment given doesn't even show. Even if you DO click a specific event, you see [Comments(number)] and [Thanks(number)]. So you have to click on a comments button just to see this information. Making 'most recent comment on this event' always be the boldfaced details shown cuts through this.

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Spil » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Uninstalled 3.4.99.106; installed 3.4.99.109 with no problems. Initial thoughts:
  • Oh joy! Oh delight! TTS was working absolutely flawlessly all the way home from work! Not sure if that was due to the uninstall/reinstall, or if .109 fixed the TTS problem that I had the entire time with .106 (it wasn't listed under "What's fixed" above).
  • The new "test" theme looks good, but being a creature of habit, I soon switched back to the "Map Editors" theme (guess you're not alone in that, khaytsus). :D
  • Haven't tried the new "night mode" colors yet, since it's morning here ;) -- I'll check it out tonight on the way to work.
  • In the first ten miles of my 18-mile drive, I lost GPS connection 8 times (bright & sunny morning here, no cloud cover at all). After it reconnected the last time, it was fine for the last eight miles home. :?
  • I had no problems with confirming the existing prices at the first of the two gas stations on my drive. However, after I entered new prices at the second gas station, Waze crashed when I pressed the "Send" button.
Logs submitted at the end of my drive (about 15 minutes ago) for your perusal regarding the two problem items above. :)

In response to:
olestas wrote:3. Horrible black bar on top still block big portion of screen in landscape mode.
Please READ the post before you reply to it! ;) --
perlin wrote:Known issues
landscape mode- we are aware that with the new design there is little space left to the map. We took all of your comments under consideration and we're working on it
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Spil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 am

Finally got a chance to report again, after my first report back on page 1 -- been a busy couple of days for me!

* Checked out Night Mode ... I like it, and definitely prefer the new blue version over the old dark grays.

* As a couple of people noted, after changing a gas price and pressing the "Send" button, the "Send" button is not erased before drawing the "X" (close) button in the same spot. I'm rather disappointed that Waze chose to ignore the many people who reported this bug in .106 -- this should have been a very easy fix to include in .109 ... bad PR move there.

* GPS stability appears to be improving now. After my last report (where I lost GPS 8 times in 10 miles), I've only lost connection a couple of times, and that was in some very cloudy weather. Yesterday morning, the GPS lock was maintained for the entire trip home, despite the overcast sky. :)

Overall, still a great improvement over .106 -- but let's get the "easy-kill" bugs fixed for the next beta, so that we can focus on the more important problems and get them resolved! :)
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby stuffhappens » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Now, this is a useable beta, compared to the previous!

No major issues on a 36 mile trip.

One request and one note:

Swap menu icons so top row is most-used set:

Menu layout in landscape mode needs a tweak:

Area Manager: W.Sussex UK
Phone 1: Sony Xperia Z OS: JB 4.1.2, Stock/rooted
Phone 2: Samsung Galaxy Note. OS: ICS 4.0.4, rooted. Speedmod kernel K3-15
Tablet: Motorola Xoom. OS: JB 4.1.2, Stock/rooted

stuffhappens

Postby stuffhappens » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:51 am

Sitting at home on wifi with a gps lock and having a look round the app, clicked the 'my mood' mini icon, the page opened and the app froze. Eventually given an option to close the stopped app.

stuffhappens

Postby stuffhappens » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 am

Aha - just discovered by accident that the landscape menu box is scrollable to view other icons!

There needs to be a visual cue for this as it's not obvious.

Rather than finger scrolling this box, which is not ideal when driving, how about page right/left arrows at the sides:

stuffhappens

Postby stuffhappens » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm

johnan wrote:Waze crashes when i take the phone out of my dockingstation.
Use: HTC ONE X, with dockingstation HTC CR5650

This has happened to me a couple of times too - I arrive at my destination, unplug the phone charging lead, take the phone from the car cradle and exit Waze only to find a few minutes later that my phone is 'dead' and I have to pull the battery.

I can't be sure it's Waze, but I don't have this problem around the office or at home when I am plugging the phone in and out of charging/PC leads (and not using Waze)

stuffhappens

PreviousNext

Return to App Beta Testing