Android beta 3.4.99.117 Feedback thread

Moderators: Unholy, hilaroth

Re: Re: Android beta 3.4.99.117 Feedback thread

Postby stuffhappens » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:37 am

Autourdupc wrote:
porubcan wrote:regarding new social functions... would it be worth to share such ideas with community before actual development? e.g. to have some kind of voting thread to provide opinion.

for myself, I really do not need deeper social functions (e.g. pickup, share ride/location), which (in my case) would be used once per couple of months, but I prefer to have core functionality running stable, without bugs and tuned.
I would also prefer to invest developers/designers time to get user interface tuned up (menus, sub-menus) from both - graphical (avoid scrolling in main menu, order of icons in portrait and landscape in main menu, etc.) and logical (grouping and order of menu items) point of view.

That is also my feel !
I would prefer core functionnalities working well, and social features coming when everything is perfect !
Many requests are pending on core... (UI, reports radius, stability, under tunnel estimation drive, and many other most very usefull).

Have to agree with this. I don't use Facebook or Twitter etc. and would much prefer the fundamentals to work properly first.

The app is getting bloated with superficial nicieties of non-critical appeal when core functions are embarrassly broken - or they work fine until the next beta breaks them again - the regression is quite amazing at times!
Area Manager: W.Sussex UK
Phone 1: Sony Xperia Z OS: JB 4.1.2, Stock/rooted
Phone 2: Samsung Galaxy Note. OS: ICS 4.0.4, rooted. Speedmod kernel K3-15
Tablet: Motorola Xoom. OS: JB 4.1.2, Stock/rooted

stuffhappens

Postby stuffhappens » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:48 am

crazycomputingdotnet wrote:
stuffhappens wrote:Dumb problem with navigation. I moved house recently and changed the location of 'home'. If I select to look at 'home' Waze shows its location and address correctly, but if I choose to navigate to it, the routing is done to the old address.

You probably need to open a ticket in nanorep and have them remove it off the server. Happened with me for work a few months ago. Has nothing to do with the client. It is a server side issue.

Wow - how user-friendly is that?

Is this a transient issue or something that will get fixed?

stuffhappens

Re: Android beta 3.4.99.117 Feedback thread

Postby stuffhappens » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 pm

perlin wrote:Thanks for mentioning it, next time I will provide a test list 8-)
For now, I'll appreciate if all you focus on the social features. We haven't got from you guys an extensive feedback on this subject.
  • What are your thoughts about the broader connection to FB? About seeing your friends on the map and them seeing you? Do you feel that it's more fun and exciting or scary and intrusive?

Social features: Kill them with Fire!

Waze is (for me) a route navigation and crowdsourced traffic app first and foremost. Focus on getting the fundamentals right THEN ask the users what extras they want. Personally, I don't want FB or any social media integration as it distracts from the core purpose of the app, makes Waze beholden to a third party who can change policy or API functionality at a whim, it isn't something I'd use on the road, it bloats the codebase and introduces more opportunities for coding anomalies and timeouts when comms don't work as expected and is taking developers away from the important stuff.

Please sweat the core stuff first - like:

• UI and menu function inconsistencies - especially how pop ups and menus close or timeout
  • Pop-ups that won't go away
  • Scrolling menus that don't have any visual clues how they work
  • Why I have to re-setup my preferences (miles instead of Km) after every upgrade
  • Why Waze cannot work out the direction in which I am travelling and so will give me traffic reports from 30 miles behind me
  • Why, having changed my home address I apparently have to raise a ticket to get my old one taken out of the server-side database so route navigation doesn't try and take me to my old home!

I'd rather have a smaller set of basic functions that work well than a plethora of mediocre, buggy ones.

PS: Just for clarification, I think Waze is a good app - but it a little work would make it a GREAT app!

stuffhappens

Postby stuffhappens » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 am

alenansk wrote:some other thoughts about route sharing:
personally, i would like to share my route with :
- every day - with someone who is waiting for me at home (husband/boyfriend, children, granny.. etc) so with my family
- from time to time - with some friends

my facebook friends are: friends who may live in other city, work colleagues, some people whom i know but not very friends... and i don't need to share my route with them

so instead of facebook, isn't it better to create an own waze list of persons (may be modify already existing groups) to share a route or location? (as soon as waze is social by itself?)

so i suggest to add "favourites" persons to be shared location / route and may be a groups of persons (both waze users and not)

Google latitude offers 24/7 shared location features without having to have Waze running in the background and I use that to allow family members to see where I am on my route to/from work - it 'just works' without me having to do anything other than have my phone switched on.

stuffhappens

Postby Superfraggle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:54 am

Wajo357 wrote:
2) I keep on adding favorites but the new one keeps on overiding the old last one. I have installed Betas on top of each other, so it is not a fresh release. All tests have been with roads that are parking lot roads (recently my kid's school parking lot segment favorite got deleted when I added a Costco parking lot segment favorite).

This is an old bug, you can't have more than one favorite if the road is an unnamed segment. Two solutions: move the favorite to a named road. Or name the road.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Timbones » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:07 pm

perlin wrote:Can you (or someone else) give me some examples of such countries? We'd like to understand this situation better.

In UK, some vehicles and drivers are prohibited from driving on a Freeway, and so need to avoid that type of road. They are permitted to drive on all other types of road, including Major Highways. I can think of no good reason to avoid these as well.

Plus everything petervdveen said. :)
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route Tester
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby ukume » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:24 pm

En la version español sale Ve en vez de Ir, para la opcion GO
ImageImage
County Manager España y Andorra.
Global Champ, Experto en Redes sociales de España, Beta Tester, Traductor.
ukume
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby vo502 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Installed over previus beta, crash when quiting, with the close button, the screen turns black, only the 2 button remains visible, neither the back or home buttons work, after a while the wait/force buttons apears

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2
Area Manager: CA-9-Cempro, Guatemala; San Marcos, San Marcos, Guatemala.
Waze 3.8.0 Android on Nexus 7
Image ImageImage Image
vo502

Postby Wajo357 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:22 pm

The gold and the bronze moods look exactly the same on my Droid Charge.
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357

Postby Wajo357 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 pm

2 things for me:

1) I see you've implemented the parking icon to drop at the GPS coordinates and not the closest roads, as I mentioned in the last BETA thread. Thanks! However, if the car is still locked to the closest road and the parked icon is at the GPS point, how is a person supposed to find his way back to his car in a large parking lot? He will see himself pretty far from his actual location.

2) I keep on adding favorites but the new one keeps on overiding the old last one. I have installed Betas on top of each other, so it is not a fresh release. All tests have been with roads that are parking lot roads (recently my kid's school parking lot segment favorite got deleted when I added a Costco parking lot segment favorite).
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357

PreviousNext

Return to App Beta Testing