Android beta 3.4.99.117 Feedback thread

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, hilaroth

Re: Android beta 3.4.99.117 Feedback thread

Postby autourdupc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:13 pm

New menu isi too small and we need to scroll in portrait mode to access bottom buttons.
It was better on previous beta.
autourdupc
Localizers
Localizers

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:00 pm

The new night mode is a huge improvement over the test schemes in the previous betas. I like it!
The new share my ride/location menu is great too!
The new Navigate icon is nice too, though with that one being nicely colorful, the other icons look a bit pale 8-)
So great work!

On the downside:
In portrait mode: the menu only uses half of the screen, so I need to scroll where that's really not needed.

In landscape mode a traffic report or other road event balloon - being an auto popup at stand still or after selecting it from the report menu - is still shown in the middle of the screen, with the actual map that shows what's happening behind the text balloon. Please make the balloon display on the left and the map on the right or something.

HTC One X
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zsezo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 pm

We lost the magic "Wundebaum" from the "navigate to" menu button! Of course... fine!
zsezo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jrapoport » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Just installed on my AT&T SGS3 and everything seems to be fine...
Love the new navigate icon and the fact that 4sq checkin is back! Thanks! :)

Recommendation: When ending a trip, is it possible that the "stop" hand icon at top would turn into a "quit" after the navigation is stopped? It starts doing basically nothing and it would be great to be able to double-tap the stop to stop nav and quit waze.
Last edited by jrapoport on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrapoport

R: Re: Android beta 3.4.99.117 Feedback thread

Postby mmennella » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:09 pm

perlin wrote:
foxitrot wrote:Because in many countries the function will get useless. A lot of targets are not reachable at all while avoiding both Freeways and Major Highways.

Can you (or someone else) give me some examples of such countries? We'd like to understand this situation better.

The question is why we want to skip freeway and major highway if they can help to arrive at destination firsth? The very interesting feature is avoid toll road because we want to avoid payment.......

Inviato dal mio GT-S5300 con Tapatalk 2
mmennella

Map favorites nickname clash causes data loss

Postby skbun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 am

davboc wrote:There is the same old problem that is impossible to add more than one unnamed street in the favorites

I don't have a problem with doing this. If I attempt to add two different 'Street/road without a name' roads into my favorites, I can indeed do so. They just have different nicknames in my favorites list. Admittedly, I'm doing this by dragging around the map, finding the road I want, and just long-clicking it, to get the 'Add to favorites' option.

Troubling, however, is that I can add two favorites with the exact same nickname, without an error. In the client, what I'll see is two entries in my favorites, e.g.
Joe's Diner
Test2 (Location A, added earlier)
Test2 (Location B, which I 'just added')

But what has really happened is that the second 'Test2' has overwritten location A on the server. If you erase your data and reimport favorites, you will only get ONE 'Test2', the one for Location B - that is to say, the most recently added one.

Waze should check nicknames when a favorite is added, and, if the same as another in the user's list, throw an error and refuse to add it.

If the above is actually done - which I feel it ought to be, it would be nice to be able to edit an existing favorite's name, so that if I decide in a month that I want not just 'McDonald's', but two, 'McDonald's North' and 'McDonald's South', I can do so without deleting the first favorite and re-adding both. This probably means from the server side that a rename operation is 'Verify there isn't a name clash, delete the favorite by name A, then save it with name B', but the result is the same.*

* If there actually is a way to edit a favorite's name, I don't know what it is?
skbun

Gas station reporting

Postby skbun » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:31 am

If I report prices for a gas station, and click 'No' to 'Are these prices correct?', I'm brought to price entry. The first populated field from left to right is highlighted, and touching three digits brings me straight to the next populated price field.

Two problems:
If there are no gas prices at all in any of the four grades, I have to touch each individual grade, one at a time, and put in each price. Pain in the rear!
If there are gas prices in only SOME of the grades (for the sake of argument, let's say 'Midgrade' and 'Diesel', this is how autoentry skips around, if I punch in say, 3 - 6- 9 - 4 - 1 - 0:

Code: Select all
R M P D
_______

(Complete, now wants you to submit)

Suggestion: Please have autoentry begin at 'Regular', and go through each box in order to Premium, whether there are 0, 2, or 4 grades populated with a price. If I need to skip ahead to a later grade because I really don't know the price, THEN I can just touch that grade (or the Next/Skip button) and continue from there.

The way it seems to work now, gas price reporting is kind of assuming that just because there is no price reported currently, there'd be no need to enter one in a more complete update. That extends to stations with no prices, because autojumping grade to grade doesn't happen at all.
skbun

Everywhere has a countdown, but not here.

Postby EulerAlves » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 pm

A countdown to 4sq checkin is welcome:
countdown.jpg
Foursquare need a countdown
(50.86 KiB) Downloaded 955 times
EulerAlves

Distance dependent popups

Postby skbun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:01 am

If I'm driving and receive a warning popup, like 'Car stopped on shoulder ahead', or 'Red light camera reported ahead', I'll be shown the location, and the number of feet away this item is. (For a hazard, it's like 2000 feet, and for a red light camera, more like 300 feet. But I digress.)

It appears that the determination for whether to pop-up a hazard while navigating is something like:
1. Am I less than X feet away from this hazard?
2. Is said hazard on my route?

If the answer to both is yes, I get the popup. Here's the problem. Hazard distance seems to be measured from your current location to its location, as the crow flies. There's nothing inherently wrong with doing that, but I ran into two cases today where I was driving, got a popup for an upcoming hazard, and then first saw the distance shrink, and then grow, as various turns along the way took me nearer and further away from the GPS point. In one, it went from 2000 feet to 1600, and back to 2000, for instance.

At the upper limit - in this case the 2000 feet, the hazard popup closes, with 'Not there' and 'Close' as options. Additionally, when you approach the hazard again (regardless of if you choose either option or none and let the box expire), I believe you don't get a second notification for it. It's like Waze has marked it as 'passed', or in any event, 'seen'. Of course, I probably also could have hit the 'Not there' box, thus cancelling out a hazard while also being a half mile away from it. Obviously, this makes no sense.

If it is possible to do a bounds check on 'distance to hazard', it would be useful to differentiate 'passing a hazard' - say, '< 100 feet' or whatever it does now, with 'Passing out of range on the high end, '> 2000 feet'. At the VERY least, the 'Not there' button shouldn't be displayed if that happens (obvious reasons). Further, that particular hazard should pop up when approached again and not marked as 'seen', because really, it hasn't been.

Another, possibly better way to handle this might be, if a distance popup is triggered:
1. leave that popup up until passed by the user on their route, (Allow 'Not there' and 'Close' as is done now)
OR
2. Until a route recalculation (wipe the popup instantly, requiring no user interaction, and recheck the new route for hazards)
...whichever comes first.
skbun

Black outs when multitasking

Postby leopascual » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 am

when navigating to a meetup point sent by email and multitasking to another app(whatsapp, etc), when returning to waze all map blackouts although buttons are still functional I have to switch off waze and start it again to load navigation, in last beta this didn't happen, HTC Inspire 4G, Logs have been uploaded to server.
leopascual

PreviousNext

Return to App Beta Testing