iOS beta 3.5.99.4 feedback thread

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, hilaroth

Re: iOS beta 3.5.99.4 feedback thread

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 pm

The interface for closures is ... interesting. I'm not sure how to make it better yet. The problem is that it is complicated to report a road closure, especially if it is to include all the optional details.

For the on-display icon, I see that the construction bubble is attached to a junction. I think it would make more sense for it to attach to the mid-point of the segment which I have closed.

Also, we should be able to, as with all other types of hazards, specify that it is closed both directions.

Lastly, if I know, based on notification from the highway department or other entity, that a closure is in effect, it would be very helpful to be able to pan to that location and close a road not connected to one I am currently on. Being limited to roads connected/in front of me, is ... quite limiting.

EDIT: on the last point, I do understand that this is the first iteration of this released in beta. Hopefully, there will be an ability to do this in the future. Maybe via the web, too... (EDIT2: sketch just posted similarly).
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:22 am

This background and font color combination doesn't work. "Home" blends into the background too much, especially on a small screen in a moving vehicle.

AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 am

The closure feature is needed and highly desired. The implementation is a good start, but it is in need of some redesign:
  1. The arrows to select are too small
  2. The number of steps to submit are too numerous
  3. The effectiveness of selecting only a single segment from where I am right now to "close" is too limited
  4. The icons in both the bubble and in the full popup need to match the icon selected in the report (Hazard, Construction, Event). (This is simple UI consistency rules.)
  5. Something in the wording needs to make it clear this is a Closure. Hazard and Construction are also other report types.

The location of the closure is inconsistent. Sometimes, I would say just the name of the road I selected to close. Other times, it would say the name of the road I tapped Report from and not the segment which was closed:

In the report above, I reported the closure from SW Clark Hill Rd, but the segment which I selected for the closure was Scholls Ferry Rd. "SW Clark Hill Rd" should either not appear or it should read: "Scholls Ferry Rd near SW Clark Hill Rd."

And, as noted in my list above, I believe different icons for Hazard, Construction and Event should be used in the popup alert.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 am

This afternoon/evening, I had a bad time with this beta and the closure feature. You may get bored reading this. :)

After leaving work I test closed a segment on my drive and it seemed to work ok. I then test closed another segment a little later. This time, though, I had to start driving and so left the report to timeout on the Later timer. It collapsed into a small moving icon on the right side of the screen as I'd expect.

What happened next was unexpected: I tapped the icon to bring the report back up and this is how the screen looked:

We've seen this type of thing happen with the interface before, with full-screen size icons. Never got it to repeat before. With the closure report, it is repeatable.

Notice that the Construction button is depressed. I didn't do that. I hadn't tapped anything. It came up that way.

Next, I tapped either the X or Back button, most likely the close button, and my screen changed to this: (Click for native image)

In that small version of the screen in the middle, Waze was operating. I could pan the map and I think I may have even been able to tap a button. At some point, the interface restored, but I don't recall how that happened.

After that small-screen thing happened, any time I tried to report a road closure, no arrows would appear on segments to select:

I tried many times to get it to work again, but nothing would work. I had to stop Waze and start it up again. After that, the arrows on the Closure selection screen worked again. Logs submitted at 1:18AM 2013-02-08 (5:18PM local time)

After logs were submitted, it happened again, with the Later timeout (note the changed time compared to the first one above):

AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

iOS beta 3.5.99.4 feedback thread

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:28 pm

milkyway35 wrote:For your information, "Road closure" is enabled on release 3.5.3.0

Okay, this is crazy. It looks like the Dev team enabled the menu config for all instead of just in beta-test. And since the functionality seems to work just the same in 3.5.3, the code was actually in 3.5.3, but the menu config wasn't there. And if they want everybody to not be using this right now, they should be changing the menu config.

I have sent a DM to waze on Twitter, since they slapped my hand yesterday posting about the new feature being available. Turns out they were the ones to actually let everyone start using it under the current release 3.5.3.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 pm

orbitc wrote:Make sure you have the latest release: 3.5.99.4. Go to report as you would normally. it's on the far right.

A recent install, or Waze pulling an update from the config server will remove the Closure button. They removed it earlier today because they updated the menu config for everyone. As noted earlier in this thread, Closure was available in v3.5.3 as well.

I just verified that it has been removed (fresh beta install).
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Got a pleasant surprise just now. It looks like the Inbox problems have been fixed for now. My Waze app has a (13) badge on it, and my inbox is full of previously received private messages.

In addition, it looks like map issues resolutions are now flowing into the Inbox. I've never seen this before! It appears there is still some work to do as "null" shouldn't appear. As well, it would be nice if the top graphic was real and not the same for everyone. It's got nothing to do with the issues I reported.
Attachments
IMG_0743.PNG
IMG_0743.PNG (125.75 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm

seriousarsonist wrote:Where did they all pop up! In app or out?

Working from home today, so I didn't have Waze running. The first thing I noticed was a Waze notification on the lock screen. Right near it was the email notification of the same, so I knew it was something different. I swiped it, unlocked the phone, and it launched Waze and took me directly to the message I swiped.

It also shows in the Notifications center:
IMG_0744.PNG
IMG_0744.PNG (159.7 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DataBitz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 am

scarlogarcia wrote:Can you allow a "closure" duration of "everyday from time X to X" and "every Weekend from time X to X"?

Would rather this was available in the map editor and for both closures and for high occupancy lanes or traffic overflow lanes.
DataBitz

Postby davipt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Errr. How do I remove a closure report now? 8|
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to App Beta Testing