iOS beta 3.5.99.8 feedback thread

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, hilaroth

Re: iOS beta 3.5.99.8 feedback thread

Postby perlin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:55 pm

davipt wrote:
perlin wrote:
scarlogarcia wrote:I was making a randomly and crazy test. So, I set a "start point" (not a stop point) and a destination. What I mean for "expected"? I got my "highlighted route" not fitted to my start and destination point. Since that rout of 120 meters had its highlighted route totally outside of my points.

Couldn't reproduce. If you have exact steps to reproduce it, please share.

It's quite easy to reproduce similar cases

OK, now after understanding the issue ( :D ) I can say that it's a known one. We're aware of it and it will be fixed in a future version. Thanks for explaining.
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby perlin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The current method for determining what streetnames are shown on-screen needs some tweaking, IMO

I agree with you on that and I've passed your suggestions on to the relevant people.
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm

scarlogarcia wrote:Sent "my location" from "send location" feature. That location is a no named parking lot saved to my favorites as "Work".

My SMS message doesn't really inform where I am but only a blank space.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361474233.789867.jpg

Sent from my mobile

Does it normally put something there other than the URL link? If so, I'm not sure what else it could put if you're on an unnamed road. Is there anything in the City field on that road?
jasonh300

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I did a search for the "safeway" grocery store yesterday to add as a stop point. Waze jumped straight to my contacts to show my a single result: "Keith Stokes" I found multiple hits for "safeway" under bing, foursquare, etc., so why did Waze jump directly to contacts?

Same thing here..."Mcdonalds" brought me to an e-mail link for my office e-mail.

I'm having the same problem with a number of searches.

The Contacts search should only search the name field of the contacts, IMO. Further, Contact results should not be prioritized over other results, especially when the search does not include the name of any contact. The best results seem to come from Foursquare, FWIW...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:31 pm

The current method for determining what streetnames are shown on-screen needs some tweaking, IMO. There are now too few street names, the one or two which do appear are either such minor streets that 90% of traffic doesn't drive on them, or they are duplicated with the purple street names for the current route.

For example, permalink location, I would remove the "SW Friendly" street name. It's a dead-end very minor road. There is no purpose to it's name being shown. However, the primary streets should definitely be considered for display, especially if they are connected to the current route. Major roads are much better "landmarkers" or "guide roads" than a dead-end street.

Here's my mock up showing names which should be displayed instead:
fix_displayed_streetnames.jpg
Mock up of how/which streetnames to show
(44.48 KiB) Downloaded 1265 times

And here is another example of duplicated streetnames making a mess on the map. If it's already showing in purple, don't show it in black/regular name display:
remove_duplicate_names.jpg
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 1265 times
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Dave2084 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze continues to do a poor job in areas with low reception. If the duration of network loss exceeds a certain number of minutes the app never recovers the network connection. You have to close the app and restart.

Have you tried toggling airplane mode on/off briefly, that usually works for me?

Yes. What I find interesting is that the app will sometimes then remove the "Searching network..." notice, but if I try to post a report, it still pops up with "no network connection." Other times, it still shows searching. Either way, after about 20-30 minutes, Waze will never reconnect in my experience. This is going on 2 years of this bad behavior.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:00 pm

perlin wrote:
scarlogarcia wrote:I was making a randomly and crazy test. So, I set a "start point" (not a stop point) and a destination. What I mean for "expected"? I got my "highlighted route" not fitted to my start and destination point. Since that rout of 120 meters had its highlighted route totally outside of my points.

It's quite easy to reproduce similar cases:

- pick a point and set as start
- pick a point and set as destination
- everything is usually ok until now
- add a stop point
- usually there is a route from the designated start to the designated destination passing by the point

but
- some times, depending if an alternative route is choosen, or if a popup of "going to work" or if there was no GPS and now there is, or network, or the phase of the moon, the client decides to forget the start point and creates a route either from "here" to the destination, or with luck from "here" to the stop and then to the destination.

~ even easier to reproduce is to try to remove the stop point and add a new one. most of the times removing or then adding will forget the start point.

The main issue is that if we try something more complicated than start->destination->stop, the start point is usually forgotten.

In the case of the image it seems that the start point was indeed lost, and there was an attempt to create a route from here to the end, and at that moment the car was pointing down albeit on the pic is already pointing up.

It happens a lot, but I wouldn't mind that much about it for now. The "set as start" is not 100%, but it's also not the core of the client, and there is other priorities I assume ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby robin1979 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm

perlin wrote:
robin1979 wrote:Reproduced the network connectivity issue for you yesterday.

Thanks! we will examine your logs.

Had a similar issue this morning, but this time Waze regained the dataconnection after 15 minutes (I had a working 3G the whole time). Might be worth looking into as well (probably related). Around 9:30 local time.
robin1979

Postby perlin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:34 pm

robin1979 wrote:Reproduced the network connectivity issue for you yesterday.

Thanks! we will examine your logs.
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby perlin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:25 pm

scarlogarcia wrote:
perlin wrote:
scarlogarcia wrote:Testing non usual routing...

Is that expected for routes close to 100 meters?

What do you mean by "is that expected". Also, why do you have a stop point flag? Did you add a stop?

Sorry, I didn't describe.

I was making a randomly and crazy test. So, I set a "start point" (not a stop point) and a destination. What I mean for "expected"? I got my "highlighted route" not fitted to my start and destination point. Since that rout of 120 meters had its highlighted route totally outside of my points.

I never made such test before so I don't know if it is related to this beta version or not. If not, please ignore my post.

perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Next

Return to App Beta Testing