iOS beta 3.5.99.9 feedback thread

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, hilaroth

Re: iOS beta 3.5.99.9 feedback thread

Postby cm477 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Waze was unable to re-route me for several minutes even though GPS was working and tracking me correctly on the map. I don't know if this was an internet issue with my provider (AT&T) or something else. I notice more issues when I connected to AT&T LTE service (e.g., "server not responding" type message). Maybe error messages can specify when there is an error with the network versus with Waze servers.

I have a few suggestions for the app in general.
- Have the street name parallel to the street direction as is the standard in maps and other navigation apps. It can difficult to determine what street name corresponds with what street, especially when there are many streets.
-Waze searches have a couple of problems. If I search for a well known common business, I get results for locations dozens or hundreds of miles away in other states even though I know there a many a few miles away. A second problem is that addresses are not listed with the search results, just the distance.
-Google search or another accurate service should be brought back. I sometimes have to search on Apple or Google Maps, copy the address, and paste it back into Waze.
- I would add a couple of options when reporting Hazards. E.g., (1) Hazards > On Road > Car stopped (it is amazing how many cars stop in the middle of the freeway, and in my experience this is more common and sudden than just objects on the road). (2) Hazards > On Shoulder > Construction (construction/clean up on the shoulder can be just as disruptive. (3) On Shoulder Hazards: option for right or left shoulder (Left shoulder hazards are often more unexpected)
-Subcategories in Favorites: E.g.: People, Stores, Fast Food, Gas Station, other business (maybe users can create their own subcategories)
-Option to turn off red light camera alerts (I really make it a policy not to run red lights!)
cm477

Postby cm477 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:07 pm

telrod11 wrote:Suggestions for future releases:
--Eliminate "you are nearing your destination" - Give me something better like "your destination is 1/4 mile ahead on the right / left" (this would really help)
--Bring back Google as a search app
--More interatcions with other search apps like yelp / etc. Similar to what you have with "Around Me"

Agree with above, but also when planning navigation, create the option to have the destination be on your right (e.g., in heavy traffic areas where a left turn would be difficult and/or when you simply want to drop someone off to the right).
cm477

Postby Dave2084 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm

As this is an RC probably too late, but I realised this morning that the down side of mute now muting everything is that speed and redlight camera alerts are also muted.

While it is possible to mimic previous behaviour by setting "Settings > Sound > Navigation Guidance" to "None" this is too deep in the menus.

Since most users will rarely change voice how about moving the choice of voice from "Settings > General > Voice" to the "Settings > Sound" menu and guidance type from "Settings > Sound > Navigation Guidance" to "Settings > Quick Settings"?

Obviously better still would be to access this from the top of the main menu but this might be a compromise?
iPhone 4S 32GB (Jailed) • iOS 7.1.0 • Waze 3.7.9.922 Beta
Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester • iPhone Expert
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Dave2084 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Noticed today that every time I get a speed camera caption the ETA box is replaced by "wave for command" or something like that (I didn't manage to get a screenshot).

That would be great but although I have ASR enabled its three finger tap only so waving is pretty useless, especially as I Waze in landscape mode where waving doesn't even work. Please get rid of this.
iPhone 4S 32GB (Jailed) • iOS 7.1.0 • Waze 3.7.9.922 Beta
Lincolnshire Area Manager • UK Country Administrator • iOS Beta Tester • iPhone Expert
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
Dave2084
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Not sure if it was related to this beta but after installing the beta got a UR fix where the subject is localised (albeit the body isn't yet)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361720082.914980.jpg
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 am

telrod11 wrote:Suggestions for future releases:
--Eliminate "you are nearing your destination" - Give me something better like "your destination is 1/4 mile ahead on the right / left" (this would really help)

Specially when the instruction happens when you are nearby the destination in a straight line but still far away in respect of driving duration. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41328
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:14 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Still not getting any traffic report popups at all. Again, regardless of Event Radius settings, but I think that is a known situation. However, even when I start a route and show events on the route, I continue to not get any popups when stopped except for Friends online. No traffic reports at all. It's been like this since at least December.

Here in INTL (PT) I have something different, and it started in the last weeks, I think even after the beta was released. When I start the client (cold or warm boot) I usually get one or two traffic popups, but then when driving, even if stopped in traffic, I get nothing. I have alerts set to "all", as I like to like (pun intented) any report from other drivers, as a CM should do.
In concrete, my flow is usually like this: open geocaching app, pick a cache, open in google maps, use my bookmarklet to open waze://, and most times I don't get my destination because a traffic popup appears and panes to that place, forcing me to go back to the browser and click on the bookmarklet again. Hence the "warm" start.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Perlin wrote:If you select to see events on your route only, the popups will be displayed up to 100 km on your route. If you select otherwise (and it doesn't matter which radius you'll choose), they will be displayed up to 5 or 10 km.

So if I want to see *all* events I should select "on route only", and if I select "all" I'll see only nearby 5-10KM events? that explains a lot :lol: /me switches back to "on route only"..
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:13 pm

cm477 wrote:I have a few suggestions for the app in general.

Better create a new thread on the client forum than here on the beta ;)

cm477 wrote:-Waze searches have a couple of problems. If I search for a well known common business, I get results for locations dozens or hundreds of miles away in other states even though I know there a many a few miles away. A second problem is that addresses are not listed with the search results, just the distance.

couple? My first advice to my newcoming waze friends is "activate foursquare and tell me if a POI is wrong there" (I'm SU2 there). The search on bing^Wwaze is worse than worthless, it's a joke, at least here in Portugal. But it isn't waze's fault, every epic fail I've seen on waze happens if searched directly on bing.

cm477 wrote:- I would add a couple of options when reporting Hazards. E.g., (1) Hazards > On Road > Car stopped

+1. I'd also like to have the "flood" (there is a translation, so there must be an option buried in the client). Every time it rains a little bit more, everything gets flooded over here.

cm477 wrote:-Subcategories in Favorites: E.g.: People, Stores, Fast Food, Gas Station, other business (maybe users can create their own subcategories)

I think the categories are the ones from Foursquare, except the "Gas stations (with price)" which comes from our own landmarks (wherever countries is enabled)

cm477 wrote:-Option to turn off red light camera alerts (I really make it a policy not to run red lights!)

Yeah, some trolls got into a fight about radars not exactly about what a radar is or not, but because of the popup. Get rid of the popup, get rid of the trolls.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

npv1459 wrote:Yesterday i drove for 1 hour at least...
2 things...
1) I think waze continue having network connection problems.. I open up waze without network connection on my iphone and when it came up again waze didn't recover continue showing "no network" message. Only after a restart of the client network start to work

For the developers, I've noticed that Waze seems to be using a request into google mail (receiving a 301 redirect) to check for connectivity, which IMHO is quite dangerous because Waze will then report lost connectivity when google is down but Waze servers are still ok. Not that google is down a lot (but it is for short periods), but personally I've seen my operator loosing connectivity to parts of the world and hence seeing waze working (the website, etc.) but google not, and hence having the client telling me "no network". Wouldn't it be better to use the waze servers themselves as the ping request?

npv1459 wrote:2) I don't know if it's a problem but after 1 hour drive as above I don't have registered drives of yesterday.. I can see only drive at 5:44am(UTC+1) but not drives of yesterday night..approximately at 9:30pm(UTC+1)and 11:30pm(UTC+1)
Log send now at 10:43am(UTC+1)

Server related. Drives have been slow appearing on the WME. Give it some hours, max 24 hours, if they are not there, there is a dedicated forum to report it. Please note that the longer the drive, the longer it will take to appear. If your drive from yesterday was longer than the one from today, it's expected to see the one from today appearing before the other one. But no worries, the drives are not lost (except one time, but nevermind that ;))
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to App Beta Testing