Hairpin and other needless turns

Moderators: Unholy, hilaroth

Re: Hairpin and other needless turns

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 pm

This is not a beta issue. Its a longstanding routing algorithm issue.

scubaedgar wrote:I have used the same intersection for years, and that 'wrong turn' is what I use when the traffic lights had a specific pattern, which I knew would shave me a couple of minutes, but it was always in a case-by-case basis.

It happens whether or not you have used the the right/U in the past. But it does seem to be waze calculating that on averages the right/U (or straight/U/right) is faster than the left turn. Waze is planning to eliminate these routes where they do not save a significant amount of time.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4, Waze 3.9.4.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Hairpin and other needless turns

Postby scubaedgar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 am

I have found that on multiple occasions the Waze mobile app sends me on hairpin turns. That is it sends me in the wrong direction on an intersection, and then requiring a 180° turn (or a set of four 90° turns around a block to get back to the proper direction of travel). In some cases it forces me to go straight on a traffic light, do a 180° later on the road, just to return to the same traffic light (where the turn was allowed anyway).

I have checked the maps myself and all of the roads and intersections seem properly defined, but for some reason Waze keeps sending me on these odd turns. So much so that I have learned to identify them long before it is too late.

I have similarly seen Waze direct someone on the wrong direction in an intersection, just to retake the same direction on the same road that was being travelled. In that particular case I think I identified that the cause is that Waze's 'preferred route' algorithms seem to be interfering with common sense. I have used the same intersection for years, and that 'wrong turn' is what I use when the traffic lights had a specific pattern, which I knew would shave me a couple of minutes, but it was always in a case-by-case basis.
scubaedgar

Return to App Beta Testing