Calf of Man amend

Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Calf of Man amend

Postby DrAish » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi there

Just noticed that the 'Calf of Man' (small island to the south-west of the Isle of Man, UK) has been named the 'Cow of Man' - which is quite funny but not right.

Does anyone have the editing rights to amend this?

Aish
DrAish

Re: Calf of Man amend

Postby Kkervinjones » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 pm

I have changed the name of the Island place, but the 'city name' of the roads on the island needs changing.

@iainhouse Even though I've enabled the cities layer and enabled city names I cannot seem to rename a city. I don't believe I can do this in the UK either, even though in this post you said L4s could. Are you able to change the city's name? I may just be doing something wrong, as it's something I've never done before.
Keith
AM for North West England and the Isle of Man
Google Pixel 2

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Kkervinjones
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby iainhouse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm

To change it you enable city names and click on the name. Then, in the left-hand pane, the city name will appear with a pencil icon next to it. I'm sure that's changed - in version 1 of WME, I think you edited directly in the name bubble on the map.

However, I can't edit any city names in IOM either. I suspect that is because IOM isn't withing the Waze country borders for the UK. I had to request an AM area myself to edit there. I think it's probably best to try submitting a name change request through the form and staff will do it.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby Kkervinjones » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pm

iainhouse wrote:To change it you enable city names and click on the name. Then, in the left-hand pane, the city name will appear with a pencil icon next to it. I'm sure that's changed - in version 1 of WME, I think you edited directly in the name bubble on the map.

However, I can't edit any city names in IOM either. I suspect that is because IOM isn't withing the Waze country borders for the UK. I had to request an AM area myself to edit there. I think it's probably best to try submitting a name change request through the form and staff will do it.

Thanks Iain,

I'll do that.

One thing I did notice is the IoM is a lot of 'cities' seem to be just one building, or farm, especially in the north end of the island.
Keith
Google Pixel 2

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Kkervinjones
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby iainhouse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Kkervinjones wrote:One thing I did notice is the IoM is a lot of 'cities' seem to be just one building, or farm, especially in the north end of the island.

It's not that unusual in rural areas. I found a "city" in Scotland that was genuinely one segment - although that hadn't stopped an over-enthusiastic idiot from putting the city name on 32 surrounding segments. :roll:

There's nothing wrong with single segment cities. They serve at least 3 purposes I can think of:
  • Since rural villages often don't have any road names, or are a tiny blip on a very long through-route, they can be used to find your destination
  • They make the app look better - by demonstrating that Waze has all the small towns marked and breaking up the monotony of an otherwise empty screen
  • If there are any traffic/incident reports, Waze can say things like "on the A702 at/near Smalltown", giving you some idea of where the problem might be.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Kkervinjones » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 pm

@DrAish Request for name change submitted via the Cities form. This may take some time though as this is sent to Waze staff to process.
Keith
Google Pixel 2

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Kkervinjones
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby atrophicshiner » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:11 am

iainhouse wrote:To change it you enable city names and click on the name. Then, in the left-hand pane, the city name will appear with a pencil icon next to it. I'm sure that's changed - in version 1 of WME, I think you edited directly in the name bubble on the map.

Pencil icon does not appear for me so this must be an L6 feature.
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ia[i]ns one Chris at a time)

[ img ]
AM the Middle bit of England - Usability | Simplicity | Retention
atrophicshiner
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:45 pm

It should, and certainly used to be, available to L4 upwards. We've asked HQ to check if something has changed.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Kkervinjones » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Hello Aish, I've just received a message from Waze HQ saying the name has now been changed to the 'Calf of Man'. This should update on the live map on the App in the next few days.
Keith
Google Pixel 2

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Kkervinjones
Beta tester
Beta tester

Return to UK Editor Requests