Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

Level3→L2 Unlock: Kingston upon Hull

Post by Jezbod
My Level: 2
Reason for request: Correct the angle at which roads connect to roundabout - look at it, it will make sense!

Jezbod

POSTER_ID:16862187

Send a message

Post by iainhouse
Roundabout unlocked. :mrgreen:

You are going to delete it, but first - a teaching opportunity for both you and the person who unwittingly made this mess. Please note - I am not having a go at anyone! :D
roundabout.jpg
(72.21 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
  • This is a "lumpy" roundabout. That means it's been there over 3 years - back to the time when Waze would try & move unlocked segments to match drivers' GPS tracks. That's why many "old" roundabouts are unexpectedly locked - by editors trying to prevent this. They may look fine in the app, but few editors can look at them without itching to replace them. :lol:
    [EDIT] Timbones points out to me that it could be lumpy because that's how it was imported from the OS basemap that created most of our segments. Before my time... :)
  • This roundabout used to have "Y connections". It's in a mess because someone has tried to remove them and done an incomplete job, partly because the roundabout was locked. They've deleted one half of each Y and made the other 2 way, but...
    • That's left the other leg of each Y connected at an angle. These angles make no difference to Waze instructions at all
    • The doglegs may not be visible in the app either, as the app shows much thicker road segments and less detail
    • At two of the junctions, turns are disabled. Shift-Z shows all red arrows - and my advice is never to turn that off unless you need to edit a turn restriction or check a segment
    • There are "leftover" junction nodes on the roundabout where segments were once connected
    • There are leftover junction nodes on 3 of the 4 attached roads, where the Ys started.
    • There's a leftover geometry node on the SW road - where the junction was removed but a superfluous geometry node is still there.
    • There are 3 "revconns" (Reverse Connections) on the roundabout. This is a relatively minor problem, so I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to look it up in the Wiki, if you don't know what they are
  • When you delete the roundabout, join all the roads at the centre in a nice right-angled cross, then re-draw the roundabout, driver will get "at the roundabout turn left/go straight across/turn right" instructions. Generally preferable.
Final note, just to confuse the issue. This isn't, exactly, a roundabout anyway. There are houses all around it and people park on the roadway. I would be tempted to make a roundabout, but then convert it to normal, named streets. That will allow house numbers to be added, but will also "lose" the roundabout-type instructions. I'll let you make that choice! ;)
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by Jezbod
Thank you for that, I know I have a lot to learn and this helps. Finally got the work done!
Jezbod
Send a message