Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

[Closure] Chester Marathon 02-Oct-2016

Post by Cestrian
Hi, this Sunday 2nd October, the Chester Marathon runs on closed roads around the area.

They're already all marked up on roadworks.org, does this mean they will "magically" appear in Waze?

(I'm used to seeing roadworks reported by Elgin, both real and non-existant, I'm not sure about closures)
In WME I don't see anything on the upcoming closures for any of the affected roads though...
Cestrian

POSTER_ID:16883176

Send a message
-- Matt

Post by Cestrian
Thanks Ian, I feared it'd have to be the manual option...

I'll create the marathon event itself, but as a lowly level 2 I'm no good for road closures as you guessed.

I'll do as you suggest and get another thread up. I won't have chance to list out all the closures (besides, takes so much longer writing a forum thread, vs just clicking to close in WME) but I'll get it started at least. Is a pain that you can't have segments off screen, nor can you zoom out. Very frustrating.

I agree about the notice, was just an idle thought had me check Waze to see if it knew half of Chester would be closed off Sunday morning, was surprised it wasn't. Even a little bit is a help though...

thanks again for your quick (and definitely helpful!) reply

-- Matt
Cestrian
Send a message
-- Matt

Post by ditchi56
No, there's no automatic feed of road closures from roadworks.org to Waze. As you've noticed, Waze do import "Elgin" markers, but these can't be related directly to Waze road segments and so cannot automatically generate closures.

There is an automatic feed of closures for the most important English roads, from the Highways Agency aka Traffic England. Here's a map of the roads they manage. No need to manually input closures for these. :) Rumour has it that a similar feed from Transport for London may be in the pipeline.

Back to the Chester Marathon, and someone should create a Waze event and then go through the chore of inputting the closures manually. The procedure has been enhanced recently, and a lot of the stuff in the Wiki is out of date. You start by creating an event, and then create closures as usual specifying the event in the drop-down box. This thread gives a link to a Google doc explaining (?) how to do it.

You may find that your editing level is not sufficient to permit you to do all this. :( If not (since now that I've replied to this thread, chances are that no-one else will look at it), you'd better create a new thread asking for help. I've only just finished inputting the closures for the Bournemouth marathon this weekend, and sorry, but I've neither the time nor the enthusiasm to do another one. Ideally we ought to input race road closures a month or so in advance rather than have a last-minute panic.

Hope this helps a bit,
Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message