Forum for requesting any unlocks, closures or fixes by a higher rank editor.
Please read "Posting Guidelines" before submitting your request.

L4 (Auto): Segments at M61 J4 for turn instruction clarity

Post by davidapeek
My editing level: 2

I'm very familiar with this junction, but I can't help thinking that we could make Waze instructions here less misleading. For example, turning from the East-West A6 (at the southern roundabout) to the north towards the M61, you will get the instruction "At the roundabout, turn [left/right] onto A6". Given the "proper" A6 continues as a straight-on movement, this seems more than a little misleading.

I'm wondering about using "pathfinder" names - so:
  • de-naming the southernmost segment of the link
  • renaming the segments going on to and off of the actual M61 roundabout something like
    • "Watergate Ln > M61" (from A6 towards the motorway)
    • "A6" or possibly "Watergate Ln > A6" (from motorway towards A6 "proper")
  • renaming the northernmost roundabout exit segment as "Watergate Ln > B6199"
All of these changes would help the instructions be both more logical and better match the road signs and paintwork on the tarmac.

Thoughts welcomed - especially on what to call the segment exiting the J4 roundabout towards the A6 "proper". I've been considering this junction's foibles for a while so I think that (apart from not being sure which option to go for on that one southbound segment) what I've outlined is the best option, but there may be a more elegant solution.
davidapeek

POSTER_ID:17124131

Send a message

Post by davidapeek
I believe this is now all done and can be re-locked.

Thank you.
davidapeek
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
There's no "right" answer, but if it were me, I would:

1) remove the name from these two segments, so that Waze doesn't mention "A6" when turning off the A6 main-line towards the motorway. (the turn will of course be followed by a second roundabout instruction that does give the name of the next road which the Wazer will be on for any length of time).

2) but leave this segment alone so that Wazers leaving the motorway for the A6 continue to get the A6 name from the motorway roundabout.

3) as you suggest, change this segment name to "Watergate Ln > B6199". And I'd change it to a Ramp, since we don't really want complex names with ">" appearing on the app map. (Name not appearing on the map, but only in written and spoken instructions, is one of the features of the Ramp road type).

Relevant segments downlocked, post again if you want any more; and post when ready to restore auto-lock.

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message