Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Lonewolf147
Nothing really. It has been submitted to Sketch and should be run very soon now. This renaming will NOT catch every segment because it will be looking for specific spellings. So be aware that you will find random segments that will need to be manually changed.

Also, be sure to watch the ALT names too.
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by Lonewolf147
I haven't created anything to track this. Mostly because it's been pretty random for me and KB with the mass renaming. Quite often I'll find a road and just start following it, and that catches some of the side roads. I could add something to the FC spreadsheet, would be easy enough to copy all the counties over to a new sheet on it. Would that work for you?
Lonewolf147
Send a message

Post by swg201
LW, anywhere we can track which counties have been completed?
swg201
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///a349MJ[/img] [img]https:///0iTws5[/img]
Northeast Wisconsin

Post by swg201
Yeah that would work fine
swg201
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///a349MJ[/img] [img]https:///0iTws5[/img]
Northeast Wisconsin

Post by vectorspace
Hi Gizmo and everyone --

I am a native of Wisconsin, born in Milwaukee, family in Door County and up and down the La Crosse to Arcadia area, relatives up toward Superior, and went to grad school in Madison, so have some roots and have been around a while. I am out of state now.

Around a year ago (perhaps in Jan 14) I came to the Wisconsin map trying to make things better where I could, a virtual trip home. There was a lot to fix. I tried to contact a number of regular editors but at the time, there was not a lot of active participation. I also believe I posted about getting some standards going in WI. There were some comments around county roads at the time because these seem rather important in WI.

I started editing and may have left some things a bit of a jumble in places because I didn't get back to finish what I was working on up north. I would advocate that the WI adopt the State Route XXX (SR-XXX) nomenclature for state highways. This seemed reasonable when I was editing here and I don't know of any major signage issues that would be a problem. This is without regard to good knowledge of what goes on in Minnesota, Iowa, and Michigan in case there is a regional preference. I really don't like the "M-xxx" item in Michigan, but what the heck! The good thing about Waze is the flexibility.

I also think CR-XXX should be a standard for County Road. There are a lot of them. Having consistency across the state would be great.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Hi everyone,

I am really for whatever the current active resident state editors are for here, but would like to also encourage considering a national trend as long as it isn't too far from what the state is using. If it's not a big difference, then why add to a larger variation in the Wazer's experience across the country?

I am a big proponent of how Waze can allow customization for local state needs for all things from road names to how Places are used. But it should be for strong reasons. Too often it seems personal preference rather than a principle-based decision is made on some of these things Waze.

The whole County Road thing seems logically easy to me that CR-XXX covers almost all states. Rather than making up something totally different, why not adopt what some other state has used? Keep it simple. I totally get it if there is specific signage that would be less confusing, but it has to add some value to be worth the difference.

In any case, again, it ought to be local team input that makes the decision. I see now that BigBear is now state manager (congratulations!). Maybe you all can encourage other local editors to engage in a discussion with representation from across the state...
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace