New Editor, Parking lot advice

Moderators: delilush, GizmoGuy411, roadtechie, SkiDooGuy

New Editor, Parking lot advice

Postby millenniumtree » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Hey all,

I'm a new editor. I also play Cities:Skylines, and Waze map editing is sort of the same task. :)

I've been struggling with what to do. As the automatic reports of missing parking lot places come up, I've been adding them, but I may have gotten a little carried away adding parking lots all over the place.

Could someone please clarify if there are 'unnecessary' parking lots, and if I should or shouldn't add them?
Small lots with a single entrance, for example?
What about lots that can be entered from two different streets?

Also, I noticed some roads around my work that were misnamed and mis-classified as parking lot roads. I renamed and re-classified them, but now I'm reading on the Wikis that sometimes they are classified intentionally to avoid navigation issues (although that seems mainly for highway vs street classificiation)

Here's the area around my work:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 231&zoom=5
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0592539,-89.2920392,17z

I realized right away that trying to add a parking lot road onto a Lvl 2+ road didn't work, so have been sticking with adding them to Lvl 1 roads and carefully verifying turn restrictions before saving.

Anyway, some guidance on what's appropriate regarding parking lots would be nice. I find this sort of task to be relaxing, especially while I'm at home sick. :P
millenniumtree

Re: New Editor, Parking lot advice

Postby WarhawkTrombone » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:47 am

Hi milleniumtree!

Looks like you're doing a lot of good editing so far. A couple things to help you make it even better:

I see you've already read some of the Wazeopedia pages (formerly the Waze wiki). I'll give you a few links to specific pages regarding any issues, but the best place to start is here. The Wisconsin page will help a lot as well.

Your Parking Lot Areas (PLAs) generally look good. No, you're not mapping too many! Make sure you're following the guidance on the PLA Wazeopedia page. That will also have the answers you need for lots with multiple entrances and such.

For the Parking Lot Roads (PLRs) you added, make sure you confirm them by adding a name and city. If they have neither, make sure to check the "none" boxes for both. I noticed some of your PLRs here and here. If there are more that you know you added, make sure to find and confirm them.

To connect to roads that are locked above your rank, you can post in the US Unlock/Update Forum. Usually someone can get to it within a day or two (most times sooner).

I'll send you a PM with a couple other points and our Wisconsin-specific welcome. Glad to have you aboard and I hope to see you around soon!
WarhawkTrombone

Large Area Manager - Southwest and South Central WI
Area Manager - Kenosha, WI

Wisconsin Wazeopedia

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
WarhawkTrombone
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby millenniumtree » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks! I'll go have a read on those other links.

In the meantime, I did a dumb.

I accidentally added 2 parking lots... While I had the parking lot layer TURNED OFF.
I saved, then tried to delete them, but they don't just disappear...

Mind cleaning them up if they still appear as pending edits?
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 383&zoom=5

Cheers, mate!
millenniumtree

Postby millenniumtree » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:06 am

OK, cool. I feel a bit better now.

I had added a bunch of them, then realized you can pick the estimated capacity (I had left them all at 1-10)... But now I'm seeing a bunch of other lots left the same way by other editors.

I'll do my best to set the proper estimates from now on though, and re-edit the others as they are approved.

I've been adding local businesses in Stoughton as well (we live in Stoughton, and commute to Madison every day).
millenniumtree

Postby WarhawkTrombone » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks! Glad we can be of help. :)

The biggest thing with PLAs is to make sure they are uniquely identifiable and/or searchable. Giving them a proper name (ex. "Parking - Best Buy") and address as best you can helps app users find the best parking lot for their destination.

Thanks again! Let me know if you have any other questions or issues as you go through.
WarhawkTrombone

Large Area Manager - Southwest and South Central WI
Area Manager - Kenosha, WI

Wisconsin Wazeopedia

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
WarhawkTrombone
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby millenniumtree » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 am

Nice. I'll have to to better with the parking lot naming. :)

And just in case you missed my comment to the closed update...
You can turn left INTO either entrance to the parking lot, just not left OUT of the eastern exit.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... =507252182

Thanks again! Once all the lots are approved, I'll go back and name them.

My wife works right across the street from the American Family Children's Hospital, and sees people drive right by it, then do U-turns to go back. No doubt some proper naming of the lots and entrances involved will help a little. :P
millenniumtree

Return to Wisconsin